Monday, June 2, 2014

The Apostle of Divine Mercy In Kraków

I have just returned home from the funeral service at Salwator cemetery in Kraków of a man whom I will always consider and respect as the Apostle of Divine Mercy in Kraków. The late dr Stefan Bartik was the most gracious, kind, sensitive, patient and caring person among all doctors I consider to be blessed by the grace of encountering them in my life. I grew up in the light of his smile and the warmth of his heart since I was a baby boy. He was a classmate of my Mum, the family friend, our doctor. To me he was always more than a family, he was a role model to me. I feel honored to meet him in my life.

He was the Apostle of Divine Mercy in merciful deeds towards all who surrounded him, his patients in particular. So many fond memories I cherish in my heart of this absolutely remarkable person. I remember one in particular, on the day of imposing the martial law in Poland, on December 13, 1981, when my Mum got very very sick and I had to make my way from Sądowa Street to Salwator to ask dr Stefan for his help. The situation of our country was critically serious, yet he did not care the dangers and came to help my Mum.

His family is my family, and more than a regular family, because we have been close for so many years through spiritual and friendship bonds. I hope his departure to Father's House in heaven will not weaken these important to me ties.

The funeral announcements posted online and in local newspapers witness to my words (I copy here just two of them):

,,Ci, których kochamy nie umierają nigdy,
bo miłość jest nieśmiertelna"
Emily Dickinson

Z głębokim żalem zawiadamiamy,
że w dniu 26 maja 2014 roku
odszedł od nas po ciężkiej chorobie,
w wieku 76 lat,
zaopatrzony świętymi sakramentami

ś†p
STEFAN BARTIK

Lekarz medycyny

Bezgranicznie oddany
Rodzinie, Przyjaciołom i Pacjentom
Najukochańszy Mąż, Brat, Tatuś, Teść,
Ojciec Chrzestny, Wujek, Kuzyn i Przyjaciel

Msza święta żałobna przy Zmarłym odprawiona zostanie
w poniedziałek, dnia 2 czerwca 2014 r. o godz. 13.00
w kaplicy Wszystkich Świętych
na cmentarzu Salwatorskim w Krakowie,
po czym nastąpi odprowadzenie Zmarłego
na miejsce wiecznego spoczynku.

Pogrążeni w głębokim smutku i żalu

Żona, Siostra, Dzieci, Rodzina i Przyjaciele

and 

Z głębokim żalem zawiadamiamy,
że w dniu 26 maja 2014 roku zmarł

dr STEFAN BARTIK

Wspaniały Kolega o prawym charakterze,
cieszący się ogromnym szacunkiem pacjentów.
Wieloletni lekarz reumatolog,
który większość swojego życia zawodowego
związał z Krakowskim Szpitalem Reumatologii i Rehabilitacji,
pełnił przez wiele lat funkcję Zastępcy Ordynatora.
Wieloletni członek Małopolskiego Oddziału
Polskiego Towarzystwa Reumatologicznego,
znany z aktywności zawodowej i społecznej.
Tracimy wspaniałego Kolegę i Przyjaciela.

Wyrazy głębokiego współczucia

Rodzinie i Bliskim

składają

Koleżanki i Koledzy
z Małopolskiego Centrum Reumatologii,
Immunologii i Rehabilitacji
Szpitala Specjalistycznego im. J. Dietla w Krakowie

It was raining during the Holy at Salwator cemetery chapel, it was raining during the funeral itself. Kraków bade farewell to one of its finest sons with heavenly tears. And rightly so.

Now we ask dr Stefan to intercede and pray for his family and for all of us as well. I believe he will continue to be the Apostle of Divine Mercy in Father's House in heaven taking care of us, till we meet again there...

No comments:

Post a Comment