Sunday, July 24, 2011

Offer

"The LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream at night. God said, “Ask something of me and I will give it to you.”"(1Kgs 3:5). This is the first sentence of today's First Reading. What an astonishing offer! God gives Solomon a total freedom to ask anything from Him. As I sat yesterday afternoon reflecting upon this Sunday readings, I questioned myself what I would do if God came to me with the same offer. What would you ask Him of, knowing He will not deny it nor refuse?



Solomon's answer prompts me to revise the list of petitions and intentions of my daily prayers. He did not use this opportunity to ask for power, wealth, long life, iron health, destruction of his enemies, food and prosperity for his people. He asked for an understanding heart and was granted not only an understanding heart, but a heart full of God's wisdom which no one ever will surpass...

I questioned myself if I would do the same in the similar situation, given an open offer from God. What is my heart and mind filled with these days? A lack of water, electricity, projects that stopped dead and cannot move ahead due to lack of funds, problems in the health center, problems with sisters and their headquarters, problems with the school, lack of funds to buy more land and build a primary school, chapels in villages that need to be built of finished, my own health, health, security and prosperity of my loved ones, slow start of my foundation, problems of my friends and relatives who ask for intercession...the whole vision of Divine Mercy in Kiabakari...so many things, worries, problems, troubles, stresses and frustrations...my own personal goals and dreams...

Perhaps I would ask the Lord for loads of money to finish the job? Perhaps I would ask for trust in His Providence? Perhaps I would ask for everything that is on my personal agenda?

Would I ask for understanding heart?  I doubt?

Would I ask for God's wisdom? Maybe, but doubtful...

Solomon's choice challenges my trust in God's Mercy and Love. His choice and request give me solid food for thought... It sheds light on my own life and the perception of it, teaching me that the gift of wisdom and understanding heart is the key and solution to all my worries and problems... The key to solve them all one by one...

Oh, Lord, grant me an understanding heart, heart full of Your wisdom, so I can know what to do, what is good and what is best, what to do and what to avoid... how to help others, how to judge, how to act, how to live....

No comments:

Post a Comment