Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Old Is Not Always Gold

My old truck is refusing to obey me recently. And today she started to fall apart. When I was on my way from Bunda Carmel, after regular confessions of Cloistered Carmelite nuns, I heard a strange noise. For a moment I thought it was a chain dangling from the spare tyre below the pickup area, but then it became stronger and louder. So I stopped to see what was wrong.



No, it was not a chain. Then, to my horror I saw a steering damper dangling from the suspension and with its loose end scratching the road. Luckily, I was with my secretary in Bunda, so together we were able to force the steering damper back to steering rod and we fastened it securely with a rubber strips we bought in the market in Bunda. Called my mechanic and he will send someone from Musoma to drive the care to the garage so it can be fixed with some other small things that need attention.

Then, I noticed something else. One of the rear tyres is so worn that the canvas is seen at some place. Oh no, another expensive expenditure. I have not even paid for the front tyres, as I have no 500$ at the moment and now I will have to ask the dealer to lend me two new tyres. I will pay, hopefully, when I come back from Poland, if someone helps me to cover the outstanding bill...

Yes, old is digging gold out of my pocket in alarming rate... well, for an 18 years old truck in these conditions, having passed through some rough hands when I left her in Kiabakari being transferred to Musoma, that she still is roadworthy is amazing enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment