Friday, December 23, 2011

Smile

Moments like these today brighten my weariness as we close on the Nativity of Our Lord. This last week of Advent has been extremely challenging and loaded with important matters and took its toll on me. The oral individual examinations of all catechumens and those receiving their First Communion which lasted for five days altogether gave me imminent insight in the quality of the religious education done by my catechist and pastoral Sister, and the direct look into the world of faith of the pupils (school children and adults alike).

I was very happy to notice that teachers in general did a good job, and the most of examined passed well. The class of Sister Jennipher stood heads and shoulders above the rest. This speaks volumes of a great work Sister did. Respect to her!

Today was the day of the Sacrament pf Reconciliation in the parish. I started with the penitential rite together, then after the liturgy I proceeded with individual confessions. The first group was First Communion class of Sr. Jennipher. I had special mystagogical classes with each group after exams - on Sacrament of Reconciliation (I gave each student a special booklet - a guide to correct confession, which I prepared and printed) and the Most Holy Eucharist, with practical sessions on how to confess well and how to receive properly Holy Communion - both on tongue and on hand. This certainly helped children to prepar themselves for today's confessions as all of them confessed very well, without any problems.

I was extremely pleased and happy to see this happening, and most of all - to witness innocent happiness, relief and bright angelic smiles of my penitents as they were leaving the confessional, as if on wings of the Holy Spirit.

Surely, moments like these brighten my life and wipe away all tiredness! Thanks be to God!

Waiting now for last penitents as they come one by one, as the main wave passed since 9am till 4pm...

Tomorrow repetition of exams for those few who failed, then I will remove myself from public and pray and focus on what lies ahead starting with the Midnight Mass of Nativity (which actually starts at 9pm here because of security reasons and lack of street lights) with Baptisms and First Communions. It will take some solid three hours to finish the Mass. My friend, Fr. Godfried from Makoko seminary, will go the outstation tomorrow night, then on Sunday he will stay in Kiabakari (the will go to one Mass in the outstation) and I will go to outstations for Baptisms and First Communions in five villages (but combined in two major Masses).

I will pray for all of you who sent lovely cards, messages, emails, phoned me or wished directly Merry Christmas! Especially during Midnight Mass which is my custom since I was ordained.

God bless us all! Very happy and blessed Christmas to you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment