Friday, July 20, 2012

Dunes

I had no time to reflect upon the last Sunday's Gospel. As it touched me deeply, I wanted to share with you a few thoughts on this. Since I am homebound and sick with flu, this is an opportune time to fulfill my desire...


Here is the Gospel of Fifteenth Sunday of the Year B, Mark 6:

"Jesus summoned the Twelve and began to send them out two by two
and gave them authority over unclean spirits.
He instructed them to take nothing for the journey
but a walking stick--
no food, no sack, no money in their belts.
They were, however, to wear sandals
but not a second tunic.
He said to them,
"Wherever you enter a house, stay there until you leave.
Whatever place does not welcome you or listen to you,
leave there and shake the dust off your feet
in testimony against them."
So they went off and preached repentance.
The Twelve drove out many demons,
and they anointed with oil many who were sick and cured them."



The following words struck me in particular as I was reading the passage during the Eucharistic celebration last Sunday in the shrine: Whatever place does not welcome you or listen to you, leave there and shake the dust off your feet in testimony against them.

I wonder if we were granted a special vision, a special ability by the Lord to see that dust shaken off feet of the bearers of Good News who came to us, or the places and people we visited in good will preaching Good News - what we would see?

Perhaps we would see huge sand dunes piled up against the doorsteps...


This Gospel compels me to do solid examination of conscience and scrutiny of my own life. How many times did I refuse the Word of God coming to me through people sent by God to me for my salvation or rescue? How many times did I refuse to do the God's Will like Jonah? How many times I went against my conscience and the God's Commandments?

How many time did I meet with resentment or hostility of people I preached to or talked to or visited? How many times my preaching fell on deaf ears or dead consciences of others?

O Lord, grant me an iron broom of resolve and repentance to sweep away those sand dunes from my doorsteps. Help me to not get discouraged when I am not accepted by others. And grant me patience and love to continue to preach Your Word of Life in all times without losing heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment