Monday, July 26, 2010

Dar Snippets

Just came back from morning tour of the city. Things went pretty well. Some official business points on my to-do list for today and some items just for myself, as I wanted to get the ambiance and feeling of the city, driving and walking around...


So, when I was done with business agenda in downtown Dar, I drove to Shoppers Plaza to get my spectacles fixed. Recently, my regular glasses gave in after serving me well for some four years. The metal frame broke in one place, where it was touching my temples, just because of my sweat! Sadly, they couldn't fix it on spot, so I have to try to do it at home. At least, they could tighten my substitute spectacles I was not wearing for long time, to make sure they don't fall off my nose and I would have no glasses to my disposal apart from sunglasses!

Then I drove up to Morogoro Store to choose some Tingatinga paintings as I can't go home empty handed and there are some friends in Poland I would like to make happy with those beautiful pieces of Tanzanian art.

From there I headed to Mlimani City to see what's new in a bookstore there. It has become my custom of many years now to buy a book before I fly home as I never sleep on-board, so staying awake all night without a good read is not a tempting perspective.  I picked up a book I hope is a good choice and will keep me focused for many hours during the flight. It is James Orbinski's 'An Imperfect Offering. Dispatches from the Medical Frontline'. The author is an International President of Medecins Sans Frontiers (Doctors Without Borders) and his book is an account of life on the medical front line. Should be an interesting read, especially as it touches places and stories close to my heart, not only geographically...

While I was driving around the City, I spotted two things that drew my attention and I was able to get my mobile ready and took quick shots.

First, at the vicinity of Umoja House (where European Union Delegation along with German, British and Dutch embassies are located), I spotted two peacocks grazing lazily on a nicely cut lawn along the Umoja House. I guess they flew here from the State House which is not so far away from Umoja House.


Then on my way from Morogoro Store to Mlimani City at Namanga area I spotted a Ferrari dealer. I am a Ferrari fan since my childhood but never knew there was a Ferrari showroom in Dar! Taking into account sleeping policemen (speed humps) of different sizes all over the country, it would be almost impossible for a Ferrari car to get anywhere around here... Still, the billboard said 'Ferrari Motors". Sadly, when I drove closer to the sign, I noticed small print - Dealers in used Japanese cars. Never knew Ferrari was a Japanese car...



So, here I am, ready for a tomorrow's flight, diving slowly into the book I bought just a couple of hours ago...It may well be that I finish reading it before I even go to the airport!

No comments:

Post a Comment