Thursday, July 1, 2010

Subtitles

I had no idea how painstakingly difficult is to get subtitles right for language version of DVD on Kiabakari, and I guess on any movie out there in the world. For so many years, since I started to watch movies, never did a thought cross my mind how it was being done - those subtitles... Now I know.

I did already subtitles for the polish language version of documentary on Kiabakari (which is only 29 minutes long) and the script was 20+ pages long! The Polish language version DVD will be included as a free gift in my new book about to be released in this month, God willing! At the moment I am in the middle of the job of preparing English subtitles, which I intend to give to an English native speaker for corrections and proofreading.

So, here I am, with laptop on my lap indeed, remote controller of DVD player at my side and playing Kiabakari DVD (which was done in kiswahili language, with Tanzanian audience in mind originally, then thoughts of expanding its reach to other countries emerged slowly) a few seconds at a time and typing down translation of what I have just heard. I have come to 18 minutes 16 seconds as we speak. Still more than ten minutes to go, aaaaah!


I need to get it done before Monday as video editor will come to the house with his equipment to put subtitles on the master recording and finalize English version in - as we hope - two days of work. I want this to be done and DVD ready before I fly to Poland to hospital for med checkup again, as - when I am back home in Kiabakari later in August, I will have no time for this thing, busy with preparations for Confirmation in the shrine, planned for September 4th, 2010. Then after that it will be just week left before I fly to Canada and USA to visit my relatives and friends and I need this DVD to present to them. You know, pictures speak thousand words...


Anyway, I have to stop for a couple of hours now as the time for regular catechetical meeting is up. Catch you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment