Thursday, July 22, 2010

Invisible Anchor

The closer to my departure for Poland, the harder it becomes to get ready to leave. I just feel I am anchored to Kiabakari with so many invisible chains, ropes, ties, relations, responsibilities, that it becomes unbearable when times like these come to get the parish and all things going on in it ready and safe while I am away, and at the same time to think about what I need to prepare for my trip and the agendas awaiting me there.


In times like this I dream of becoming a person with no administrative responsibilities as parish priest. How I wish to be a plain and happy curate who can pack and go when time comes... It is so tough to leave the parish even for a month when one is alone and solely responsible for everything in it (salaries, bills, current agendas, pastoral programs, things going on at the moment, buying things necessary for a month, leaving funds for payments that will come up when I am away, million tiny things to take care of). No one to hand over duties to!


With a shortage of priests in the diocese, it verges on impossibility almost to get substitute priests let alone for Sunday Masses in the shrine and the outstations, not even dreaming of having one to be here everyday. Impossible! And now, with sisters in the parish and their need to have daily Mass, it is simply mission impossible. They will have to drive daily to the nearest parish in Butiama or to Chief Wanzagi Girls' Secondary School to participate in Holy Masses...

At least for this time, I was able to get one retired White Father missionary from Germany, living in Nyegezi area of Mwanza City (200 km from Kiabakari) to come for two weeks and three Sundays to be with Sisters and say daily and Sunday Masses. Ufff! But once he goes back to Nyegezi on August 9th, there will be no one in Kiabakari and Sisters will have to go to Buturu or Butiama daily, as only on two remaining Sundays priests from Makoko seminary will be able to come for Sunday services...

I do not know how it will be possible to secure priests' services when I go for three months holidays-mission awareness in mid-September? I can only say - 'Jesus, I trust in You!'

No comments:

Post a Comment