Sunday, July 25, 2010

Christ-Carrier

July 25th, 2010, and indeed - every year - in liturgical calendar of the Catholic Church is observed as a Feast of St. James, the Apostle, and also as the commemoration of  St. Christopher, Patron Saint of travelers, on which day we bless vehicles (at least it is a tradition in Poland).

This is also my younger and only, in fact, brother's name. Today is the feast of his Patron Saint. God bless you much, Bro! May your life be a testimony to what your name exactly means - to carry Christ in you and through you - for others. Today's Holy Mass is for you and for Christophers out there in the world. Happy feast days, Bros!




I like an annual action of MIVA Poland - A Week of St. Christopher, during which every motorist in Poland is asked to donate one grosz (1 gr) per every kilometer driven, as a thanksgiving to God for safe journeys we made throughout the whole preceding year, towards the fund for purchasing a vehicles for missionaries in need. I will be one of the recipients of the donated vehicle this year if action goes well and bears fruit as I applied recently for a new Toyota Hilux double cabin 4WD vehicle for myself (same as on the poster below!) as my old beaten Toyota is nearing its retirement after serving me and others for 17 years in Kiabakari...



Let us pray for all of us who are drivers, captains, pilots, you name it, through the intercession of St. Christopher:


Prayer for Motorists
Grant me O Lord a steady hand and watchful eye.
That no one shall be hurt as I pass by.
Thou gavest life, I pray no act of mine may take away
or mar that gift of Thine.
Shelter those, dear Lord, who bear me company,
From the evils of fire and all calamity.
Teach me to use my car for others' need;
Nor miss through love of undue speed
the beauty of the world; that thus I may
with joy and courtesy go on my way.
St. Christopher, holy patron of travelers,
protect me and lead me safely to my destiny.
 
Safe journey to you all! Especially, the journey of faith towards the ultimate goal of our lives...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment