Saturday, May 7, 2011

Pro-existence

This is precisely the expression used by my former rector in metropolitan major seminary in Kraków, now the archbishop of Częstochowa, His Grace Stanisław Nowak, when he addresses seminarians in the shrine of Saint Stanisław, bishop and martyr at Skałka, Kraków, back in 1983 0r 1984 if I correctly remember...


This recollection has just popped up in my mind as I was thinking about all those whose Patron Saint day is coming up tomorrow (in Polish liturgical calendar whereas in the universal Church calendar it falls on April 11), all those bearing the name of Stanisław, Stanislaus in Latin. And the archbishop Nowak is one of them. So, I as I was bringing those men in front of my conscience and streamline of thoughts, figuring out what would be the best manner to contact them and wish them well on the feast day of their Patron Saint, my time vehicle brought me to Skałka church, where Saint Stanislaus was slaughtered while celebrating a Holy Mass by the Polish king, who was displeased with bishop's outspoken and courageous admonishing of the king and the speaking up about the grave matters concerning the nation...

In his talk, archbishop Nowak used the word 'pro-existence' while describing the lifestyle of Saint Stanisław. This term sunk deeply in my mind and soul and never faded away. It comes back to me from time to time especially when I want to talk about the deeper meaning of our lives as Christians or human beings...

He argued that our life as Christian must not be a mere existence. It must be pro-existence, existence 'pro', living 'for'... living for God and for others, to the extent of giving up ourselves in sacrifice, unselfish service, pro-active love, redirecting the motion of our life from inwardness to reaching out to God and others...

I wonder how much our life has become self-centered in our times, when everywhere we see and hear and are being taught about the importance of one 'self', one own needs, goals, desires...lowering levels of empathy, assertiveness and dispensing ourselves from the responsibility for others, leaving concrete help to government, NGOs, institutions, professionals... simply washing our hands from our duty to live for and serve others...

Saint Stanisław is a mirror in which we can and should look at ourselves and check if our lives are truly pro-existence or merely self-satisfying quest...

His remains are preserved in a silver coffin in the confessio in the middle of the Wawel cathedral in Kraków.


At the feet of the confessio I received my ordination to diaconate on May 8, 1987...


then on May 22, 1988 I was ordained as a priest at the same spot...

Sanctus Stanislaus, ora pro nobis!

No comments:

Post a Comment