Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Deja Vu

Same place. Mombasa. Same room in Generalate house. Same person. Me. Different condition though. Remember my post about mosquitoes when I was here last time ten days ago? Came back this afternoon from Bura Motherhouse sick, sick, sick...that malaria never went away. Three doses of duo-cotexin in the span of a month time didn't help. It struck again with vengeance. I'm sure that night I described in that post contributed to my present condition. Truly,  I don't wish anyone, not even my worst enemies, to go through this...Everything you can imagine with strong malaria, it's happening to me. And tomorrow I'm flying back to Dar and then to Mwanza and to Kiabakari. I hope I won't fall apart...



The return trip from Bura to Mombasa was unpleasant in this condition. And then sisters' vehicle was impounded by traffic police in Voi town as the car had no valid insurance sticker. The insurance was paid, but sisters forgot to put the sticker on the windscreen. Took them almost three hours in central police station in Voi town to clarify. And in the meantime, officers had already put our poor driver into the cell, telling him he would appear at court this afternoon! During all this ordeal I was semiconscious in the car, praying that my stomach holds and I do not vomit or do something even worse there! We were finally allowed to go, and it took us six hours to get here to Mombasa...

So here I am, in the same room with mosquitoes getting ready to eat me alive again. This time I won't let it happen...


Thank God for great time in Bura and successful seminar and retreat. It adds to the flavor to offer personal sacrifice as well. Hope it helps sisters and those I was praying for all the time...

2 comments:

  1. How do you sustain this dreadful suffering that keeps re-occuring with the malaria . you seem to have much shorter remission periods recently. We pray it passes soon this time. Having to return to so much hard work in your mission base must be so challenging. I hope you can take some rest to restore your strength and wellbeing first. Little do we realise here the sacrifices that our missionaries make in furthering God's Kingdom - nothing short of heroism in your case. You are remembering in our prayers - my sister went to Knock at the weekend and had you enrolled in the novena of Masses that happens there all year. May Our Lady protect you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lena, for your concern, kind words and prayer. Especially I am so grateful for the novena of Masses at Knock shrine. Wow! So happy! Woke up this morning bit better, thank God. What a few solid hours of sleep can do to one's condition. So hoping for a better day and looking forward to my flight back to Dar and then further on home. Keeping you, Tom, your sister (please convey my gratitude to her for her kindness and concern) and all my friends in Ireland on both sides of the border - in my heart and prayers. God bless you much!

    ReplyDelete