Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Two Suns

Once, Cardinal Paul Popard (whose wisdom, personal culture and thoughts I admire) quoted the following story:

A rabbi was once instructing his disciples. In the course of his teaching he asked them: "When does the day begin?" One answered: "When the sun rises and its soft rays kiss the earth, gilding it with gold, the day has begun." But this response did not satisfy the rabbi. Yet another disciple ventured: "When the birds begin to chorus their lauds and nature herself bounces back to life after the night's slumber, the day has begun." This reply, too, did not please the rabbi. One after the other, all the disciples made bold their answers. But with none of them was the rabbi pleased. Finally, they gave up and all, agitated, asked: "Now, you tell us the right answer! When does the day begin?" And the rabbi answered calmly: "When you see a stranger in the dark and recognize in him your brother, the day has dawned! If you do not recognize in the stranger your brother or sister, the sun may have risen, the birds may sing, nature herself may bounce back to life. But it is still night and there is darkness in your heart!"

I woke up this morning early as usual. Looked out of my bedroom window and saw the sky had just begun to light up in orange, pink and red to the east, brightening up scattered threads of thin clouds, letting me know that it was going to be another spectacular sunrise, one of those that are able to take my breath away and left me in awe...


Got myself ready for the day, brewed a coffee, took a few quick sips to shake of lingering slumber, grabbed my camera and ventured out to capture the magic of African sunrise in its full splendor...

I knew that the key phrases of today’s liturgy were – ‘Lord, let your face shine on us’ (Ps 4:7a) and ‘Let your light shine before others...’ (Mt 5:16).

There were two light points this morning, just like every morning... Divine Mercy Shrine lighting up for the morning daily Mass...and African sun lighting up to the east... The face of Jesus Christ, Sun of Mercy and Justice shining on us in the holy liturgy... and the face of the African sun shining on us every morning, rising up at the same time we celebrate Holy Eucharist in the shrine...

I went up to the shrine to amaze at its tranquility at this early morning hour...Brightly lit sacristy with Charles, assistant sacristan busy preparing holy paraments for the liturgy...


The back chapel of Our Lady of Perpetual Help radiating warm light of its wall lamps through stained glass windows...


No one inside yet... still too early for the regular first comers... I stood there at the door to breathe the sacred air and to cleanse myself in the presence of the Lord in the tabernacle, surrendering myself to the maternal gaze of my heavenly Mum from Her image at the altar...


Yes, I know...’Silence! The Lord is here!’ says the inscription on the sign put at the side of the door and also at the side of the altar...I put those myself to remind us all Who is here...This chapel is our daily adoration chapel, open to all throughout the day, whoever wants to drop in to spend a few moments in solitude in the presence of Jesus in Eucharist...


Silence...just a few bugs buzzing around and noisy birds waking up to the light of the dawn... And I, in the House of the Rising Sun, Whose light never fades away...

Went back to the open space on top of the hill above the mission premises to welcome the rising sun getting up from behind Butiama hills... I imagined myself waiting for the Lord to meet Him face to face, asking that His face shine on me and my worries and make impossible things simple and easy...

The sun rose quickly and majestically as my lips moved silently saying the Divine Mercy chaplet...’have mercy on us and on the whole world...’ Then the first ray of the sun struck me without warning...like a lightning...like a bolt of love of God which pierced Padre Pio’s hands, feet and heart...I stood there, motionlessly, silently, in my helplessness, poverty, fragility, in full truth, in my hope and submission, in my gratitude and love...in awe and in peace...


Suddenly all world burst into light as the sun continued to rise quickly and disperse the darkness of the night making way for the bright light of yet another fine day in Kiabakari... 


The sun rays pointed forcefully to the shrine, lighting up its walls, reminding me where I must look for the Real Light and Real Sun...Jesus Christ, the Light of the World...


Holding Him in my hands right after the words of the formula of consecration of the host and elevating Him slowly to show Him to the congregation reminded me of the sunrise I witnessed just a few minutes ago...yet Jesus is so much more gentle on us. His Face shines on us in the Eucharist yet does not blind us. In His light of Love we can see ourselves in the full truth and see others also...as our brothers and sisters...and not strangers...coming together to the Light to become one with Him in Holy Communion and make our lives shine with His light for others...who refuse to raise their eyes and to see...

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful serene, mystical experience. Thank you for sharing so inspiring. You are surrounded by'Light'.
    Tom loved it too. He is very excited about the beatification of Fr. Popielusko and has been following it via web recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a touching experience, indeed...Almost every morning...such spectacular sunrises here, particularly in rainy season with interesting clouds formations..And our little daily chapel of Our Lady of Perpetual Help...well, it is my favorite chapel in the whole world :)

    Greetings to Tom! funny feeling to see someone I know beatified...it's like touching eternity suddenly...

    ReplyDelete