Monday, June 14, 2010

Little Switzerland

So, after three hours of earnest driving, we (three sisters, driver and me) have arrived to Bura Motherhouse of the Congregation of Sisters of St. Joseph. It feels good to be back here. I love this place, located on a plateau surrounded from three sides by beautiful hills (I would rather call them mountains) and the opening in this crescent-shaped hills allowing for the twisted dirt road to wind its way around the slopes of Taita Hills. This area looks to me like a Little Switzerland, so beautiful and serene, so new every morning and every evening...


It's much cooler than it was in April, when I was here for the first time to facilitate the seminar on inner healing and spiritual warfare with the Evil One, and right after that the full week retreat based on the theme taken from the Book of the Prophet Hosea: "I am going to lead her into the wilderness and tenderly speak to her heart" [Hosea 2:14-15]. The same room with an office and tiny bathroom, providing adequate living and working space for ten days which lie ahead of me. I'm looking forward to the second group of sisters. Looking forward to the challenge to overcome routine that might creep in based on a false conviction that I came to repeat the same seminar and the same retreat (as Sisters wished for, so everyone could get the same food for thought and heart). But these things are never the same. People are unique, times are unique, situations are unique and a lot of unexpected things might happen, as they always do...The Holy Spirit blows as He wishes so I am open to His guidance and ask Him to lead us all to the wilderness and speak tenderly to our heart throughout these ten sacred days.

I know I will have some snippets of free time which I am intending to spend on reading (got two books, one on spirituality of prayer, and the other - a compilation on interesting reports of a young journalist traveling in former Soviet Republics and meeting some key figures - got through half of these reports, now it is time to finish them). Also, I intend to put into shape some loose thoughts wandering about in my head as I prepare for the wedding Mass and homily for my friends in Poland. I hope the Holy Spirit will help me to put them together to make a homily which He wants me to offer as my wedding gift to the bride and groom on their important day.

Hopefully, it will be a fruitful time for Sisters and myself. My prayers for all of you, dear friends, will spring from my heart all the time I am  here. Please, pray for Sisters and for myself too, so that The Will of God is fulfilled to the fullest in all of us.

Now, a few pictures to show you how spectacular piece of the world these Taita Hills are!


Come, Holy Spirit, lead us into the wilderness and speak tenderly to our hearts...


2 comments:

  1. We have enjoyed our virtual trip along the African coast to Mombassa and finally to Bura. What splendid photographs. We have been watching a BBC documentary on Africa done by Richard Dimbleby and it was amazing. He included Tanzania in his itinery so we were with you in spirit. In the final episode he said what AFRICA needed was 2 things
    1. Respect not pity
    2. Fairness not hand-outs
    I thought that was good.I am glad you will have a few days away from the threadmill at Kiabakari (no let up there)and can take care of yourself a litte although giving a retreat is hard work too . Anyhow the sisters will be good to you and why shouldn't they - you are a very precious person. Have a little fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard is spot on with his observations. Respect and fairness. I could talk volumes on these two topics and add some more. Yes, I am settled now in Bura, just finished the evening opening session and night prayers. Major work starts tomorrow. I hope to have fun too as it is such an opportune time to do something extra I wouldn't be able back there in Kiabakari. God bless us all! Thank you for your kind comments, this makes me go really!

    ReplyDelete