Monday, June 14, 2010

Sleepless in Mombasa

Since I cannot sleep anymore tonight as the war with mosquitoes continues to rage on, I went down the memory lane, triggered by the keywords - malaria, drugs, health...The mental path led me this time to our health center in Kiabakari.





It has been three years since the final episode of its becoming. Conceived back in late '90s in my mind, its becoming started together with the Foundation of Humanitarian Aid 'Redemptoris Missio' in Poznań, Poland, which,  on my request, came to my help in  its initial construction phase which took many years to accomplish, with little funding possible at that time. I was able to put foundations and leave sizable amount of building materials before I was transferred to Musoma Cathedral in July 2002.


The works continued under new parish priest, Fr. Julius Auko Ogolla, with an enormous help of Salesian Voluntary Service from Kraków, with two volunteers, Roman Sikoń and Wojciech Haręża supervising the roofing works, doors, windows, plastering, flooring, plumbing and wiring. They left the facility unfinished as the money available did not allow for the completion of the project and there was this uncertainty of who was to run this facility in the foreseeable future.

Thenm upon my return to Kiabakari in November 2006, Foundation 'Redemptoris Missio' sent their very first volunteer, dr Gabriela Majkut, a very smart and capable young professional, with the task of supervising the final episode of this long saga of becoming of the health center in Kiabakari. She was able to assess quickly and adequately the situation, came up with a project proposal which won major funding from Polish Foreign Ministry and the rest was just a success story. The completion of the project took us four months - from September to December 2007 and on January 18, 2008 the facility opened its doors for the first time to first patients.


This was the last time we had completed a major project in Kiabakari. Since that day, things aren't moving that well anymore.All other projects got stuck in various stages. John Paul II Center for Education and Formation - I was able to put roof on it last year, main water tank for health center, school and sister's convent - some materials amassed, with several attempts to get funding unsuccessful. St. Gemma Galgani Convent - back to drawing board, as Sisters are unhappy with what was built in the meantime when I was in Musoma, so back to the original location and plans... Mwalimu Nyerere Memorial Hotel - the plot is secured, architects needed and funding. Foundation 'Kiabakari' Center for Volunteers - most probably we will inherit the unfortunate sisters' convent rejected by my Sisters and remake it with some serious extensions for the needs of future volunteers in Kiabakari...

Thinking about these current projects make me frustrated as it is the time of trial of my faith and hope in God's Providence. Prayer and complete trust in Divine Mercy are on the front burner for me since July last year when I finished putting roof on the Center for Education and Formation. Believe me, for someone like me who got used to work 24/7 it is a purgatory to sit idle like this. I fill this idleness with books writing, retreats, seminars, then the sickness came, which changed a lot, all these extra little agendas keep me busy, but still...

So, in order to not get frustrated more by the present time, let's enjoy what has been accomplished so far. Especially the flag ship of Kiabakari - Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati Health Center. The following video presentation was prepared by dr Gabriela for Polish Foreign Ministry and Polish audience in general. Though with Polish subtitles, I hope non-Polish viewers will enjoy and appreciate nevertheless the beauty of 'becoming' of our health center and the courageous vision, professionalism and determination of dr Majkut who made this happen in such a short span of time.


Let's pause for a moment thinking warmly with grateful heart of those who made this happen, offering a sincere prayer for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment