Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day To Forget

I don't want to write in extenso about what happened today. Three years ago we hired a house with adjacent buildings for volunteers of Foundation of Humanitarian Aid ' Redemptoris Missio'. My clients paid for the upgrade of the whole compound and furnishings. The doctors, administrators and volunteers have been using the house for three years. As they now handed over the administration of the Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati Health Center in my mission to Sisters of the Congregation of Little Servants of Blessed Virgin Mary Immaculate Conceived, African Province with Headquarters in Kasisi, Lusaka (the handover formalities were done on March this year), there is no one at the moment to occupy the house. That is why we upon bilateral agreement decided to hand back the house to the owner, and keep the furnishings in my custody for the future use, if we succeed in realizing the dream of having a proper base for volunteers.

I had this sad duty today to check the inventory of the house and transfer all things to the mission and keep them under my custody. It was so heartbreaking! I hate losing battles for good causes! I hate to retreat in development terms. I hate to surrender. I prefer to persevere, wait out till better times, but not this way...

I will expand this post later with some pictures and more info. Just so much for now...

Where is my handkerchief???

Ok, just finished sobbing...A few photos depicting the short history of the volunteers' house (located merely a football pitch distance from the health center). First, pictures I shot in June 2008, after finishing upgrading works in the compound:


And...today...last glimpses of the house which hosted so many fine people who came to serve unselfishly others in need in Kiabakari and in the area...so sad to have no one at the moment to hand over keys to...

2 comments:

  1. What a sad day this has been for you and for one of your cherished dreams .But we have an old Irish proverb that says:
    ' God never shuts one door but he opens another'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is exactly what I've been thinking all night long and today. Bit better mood, now praying to God to find a way to make this dream of a modern base for volunteers - become reality one day, but not in the distant future, please please! :)

    ReplyDelete