Saturday, June 25, 2011

Stone Age

Yet another night in darkness. The power rationing in Tanzania is getting worse and worse day by day. In the last 48 hours we had only 7 hours of power. How can you live in a reality like this? Going backwards in the 21st century instead of ensuring constant uninterrupted power supply for the Nation's growth, prosperity and development...


I spent around 100$ for the last two weeks to purchase gasoline for the generator, and still I was using it only when necessary. We may think about solar systems, but those capable of running 220V appliances are insanely expensive and out of reach for me. So, the generator is still much cheaper option even with such huge spending for petrol. I cannot afford it in long terms. I simply can't as I have no money at my disposal for this.

And yet I have friends and benefactors who enabled me to but this petrol. Think about millions of Tanzanians who want to develop their country, who want to have better life, who want to get busy with their groceries, offices and enterprises and are denied opportunity to do so because of lack of power supply.

We are heading straight back to Stone Age. I'm just a single voice in the uproar of thousands in Tanzania who get more and more frustrated with this situation. This is what I found on Facebook, done by a local cartoonist as he ironically presents the way we are going to celebrate the 50th anniversary of independence of Tanganyika on December 9 this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment