Monday, May 17, 2010

My Briefest and Most Memorable Catechism Lesson


I always knew my Dad is an early riser. Heard him so often in the morning when he was getting himself ready to go to work. He used to wake up around 4-4.30am and still does...
Being a little kid, I didn’t know what my Dad was doing exactly at that early hours of the day...
One morning, when I was around 3 years old I ventured out of our room which I shared with my grandma and my younger brother, and braved to go and see for myself what my Dad was doing there in my parents’ room...
He did not notice me entering the room quietly...what I saw stopped me in my tracks and froze me as I was startled and astonished seeing my Dad on his knees at the parents’ bed...praying silently...
He spread various holy cards in front of him with his prayer books and was so focused in prayer that he did not notice my presence...
I rushed out of the room with my heart beating fast with the picture of my Dad on his knees praying imprinted in my mind and heart forever...
I never needed anymore anyone to explain to me the importance of prayer in my life. I knew already...for the rest of my life!
My Dad – without a single uttered word and without even knowing this – gave me the best ever, briefest ever and most memorable ever catechesis on the importance of prayer in our lives.
Thank you, Dad!
 


 No wonder, Jesus did not need any teachers of prayer in His childhood. His Mum and Custodian taught Him everything...and it is always the best and most memorable catechesis for us, kids. Kids do not need catechists and catechesis at school if their parents understand that they are the best ever catechists and get involved totally in the religious formation of their children...

Parents, remember this, please!


My Parents on their wedding day

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful memory. I recall in our home the saying of the family rosary when my mother took out a little prayer book with illustrations of the mysteries and lots of holy pictures and memory cards and my dad joined us. He always carried his rosary beads in his pocket . We then had the 'trimmings of the Rosary' which were all the family intentions and those of half the countryside and they were as long as the rosary. With the advent of TV the family rosary has nearly disappeared in Ireland but other forms of prayer will emerge, hopefully.Lovely photo here - wondering if this is your parents

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are my parents, Lena. I love this picture. :)

    Thank you for sharing your lovely family prayer story. It is the same now here in Tanzania, more and more families abandon their family prayers (they are busy as they say, which is not true) and then children stop praying altogether. This I see as a pastor when asking them about this. Sad.

    ReplyDelete