Saturday, May 29, 2010

Night Theme

Helena, your suggestion to consider Van Gogh's 'Starry Night' triggered stream of memories and emotions woven around night theme... I consider myself as a night hawk, who barely sleeps and respects night time as a creative time, full of unexpected twists and turns, unlike a daytime job. I will talk more on this later on this blog as night work, night experiences, night mental and emotional journeys are my world, dear to my heart, fascinating, scary, calling...

Here is your painting, Helena...If not those European type houses, I could consider it as an awesome presentation of African night sky. So many times I was left in awe, speechless, going out and looking up in stars and on other occasions admiring full moon fiercely blasting its lunar light like a pale veil falling over the sleeping landscape...


The term 'stars' made me to travel in my mind and heart to Prague, to Alphonce Mucha's museum in Czech Republic capital city (see also here - https://www.artsy.net/artist/alphonse-mucha). I still recall vividly my first and only (so far) visit to his museum a few years ago. His art is so naturally coming to my framework of art concept and sensitivity to beauty...I love his works, but among them 'The Four Stars' series is among top ones (the picture below is of poor quality - these posters are beautifully done in reality, with 'nightish' palette of colors)...

The Four Stars: The Moon, The Evening Star, The Polestar, The Morning Star -1902

And the all knowing Moon looking upon us over Kiabakari...

2 comments:

  1. Oh what splendid pictures, thank you - I loved Mucha's stars - they looked like angels. Reminded me to- day,Trinity Sunday, of Rublev's icon of the Trinity where he renders the invisible visible .Take a rest under the lovely sheltering green tree. Don Mclean's lyric 'Vincent(old version was Starry,Starry Night') says
    'Colours changing hue, morning field of amber grain
    Weathered faces lined in pain
    Are soothed beneath the artist's loving hand'
    May you find solace in these wonderful works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Weathered faces lined in pain
    Are soothed beneath the artist's loving hand'

    Aaaahhh, that is so true. Art and music, calmness of the afternoon are the best soothing tools for my soul and psyche, Helena. Thank you for sharing... :)

    ReplyDelete