Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Ulysses

I had a bread roll with Blue Band spread and  honey this morning for breakfast...So what? Is this worth writing a post about? Hmmm...


This ordinary event triggered a whole world of memories...going back to 1997... This was the year my parochial netball team VIWAWA FC (VIWAWA is an abbreviation of Vijana Wakatoliki Wafanyakazi, meaning Catholic Working Youth) participated in Nyerere Cup in Dodoma, Capital City of Tanzania. And won Fair Play Cup which - on our arrival back to Kiabakari - we handed to Mwalimu Julius Kambarage Nyerere, former President of Tanzania, who agreed before to be our Patron and Sponsor of the team.

We were based in diocesan guest house in Dodoma. Every morning, breakfast was the same. Bread rolls, Blue Band spread and honey (Tanzanian honey which I love, so yummy!). We spent there some ten days, having the same morning ritual for breakfast...

So, whenever I happen to have the same stuff for breakfast since then, my mind goes back in fond memories to 1997 year, to Dodoma, to netball tournament (see pictures from that event here), to our great effort as a small, rookie parochial team who dared to challenge national league teams on equal basis and won hearts of people back then by our discipline, fair play, excellent behavior and smiles...We made friends with a lot of people there and these friendships last till now...

It is amazing how simple, unassuming things have power to trigger high emotions, memories, reminiscences, pictures in my mind...It feels like reading 'Ulysses' by James Joyce (one of my favorite novels of all times; you can download the book for free here)...This stream of consciousness flows through me all the time and flows out, pops up, bursts into life triggered sometimes unexpectedly by those little things in my life...

2 comments:

  1. Anyone who can read Ulysses for enjoyment is a genius so now you know where you rank !!
    Hope the injured finger is better -seemed a nasty one. With Yeats and Joyce you are travelling the literary globe big time. Just like iphone- The US tech blogger, John Gruber, says the iphone is ' Our flying cars'!Keep flying high and enjoying the honeyed moments/memories of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I wouldn't say I enjoy reading Ulysses, it is a traumatic experience for me whenever I return to the book. But it amazes me how similar experiences I have when constantly tiniest things awake memories, passions, feelings, things of the past and catapult me into different worlds...it's not easy to explain in words...I feel it rather...

    ReplyDelete