Monday, May 31, 2010

Eyes Wide Open

 What a pleasant, radiant, peaceful and rewarding day off it is...In a day like this, we must have our eyes wide open, lest we miss tiny miracles and surprises God has placed for our amazement, wonder, awe and inspiration.


How wonderful are unassuming leaves taking early bath in a morning dew... How gorgeous are little flowers waking up from a night slumber and stretching out to the morning sun... I call upon St. Francis of Assisi, the Saint Patron of my ordination class to praise with me the One who made all His creatures...

Saint Francis’ Canticle of All Creatures

Most High, all-powerful, all-good Lord,
All praise is Yours, all glory, all honour and all blessings.
To you alone, Most High, do they belong,
and no mortal lips are worthy to pronounce Your Name.

Praised be You my Lord with all Your creatures,
especially Sir Brother Sun,
Who is the day through whom You give us light.
And he is beautiful and radiant with great splendour,
Of You Most High, he bears the likeness.

Praised be You, my Lord, through Sister Moon and the stars,
In the heavens you have made them bright, precious and fair.

Praised be You, my Lord, through Brothers Wind and Air,
And fair and stormy, all weather’s moods,
by which You cherish all that You have made.

Praised be You my Lord through Sister Water,
So useful, humble, precious and pure.

Praised be You my Lord through Brother Fire,
through whom You light the night
and he is beautiful and playful and robust and strong.

Praised be You my Lord through our Sister,
Mother Earth who sustains and governs us,
producing varied fruits with coloured flowers and herbs.
Praise be You my Lord through those who grant pardon
for love of You and bear sickness and trial.
Blessed are those who endure in peace,
By You Most High, they will be crowned.

Praised be You, my Lord through Sister Death,
from whom no-one living can escape.
Woe to those who die in mortal sin!
Blessed are they She finds doing Your Will.
No second death can do them harm.

Praise and bless my Lord and give Him thanks,
And serve Him with great humility.

Heavenly Father,
You gave Your servant Francis
great love for each of Your creatures.
Teach us to see Your design in all of creation.
We ask this in Jesus’ Name. Amen.


All creatures great and small.....the Lord God made them all!

2 comments:

  1. What a capacity you have for the transcendent, Wojciech andwonderful hymn to creation. This capacity takes many forms and pity the 'New Age'folk are off on a rare tangent. We have a lot searching and not finding!!! You remind me of the words of a poem by Keats ' Ode on a Grecian Urn' which ends:
    'Beauty is truth, truth beauty - that is all
    Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know'. I miss the light of African sun - these black pages and fog pictures are they signifying something or just to help us see the wonderful pictures and images !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like black, it helps to see...

    And this colour scheme reminds me of our family albums with old and new pictures. I loved to flip their pages when I was a kid, such a great lesson of history. No hidden agendas then, just the way I like it, more personal touch which envokes a lot of fond memories. And yes, black enhanced colors of pictures which I was missing with this yellow sunny color.

    ReplyDelete