Monday, September 5, 2011

Symbolism

Lena presented a special book to me yesterday as we bid farewell to each other in Warrenpoint. 'Symbolism. The Glory of Escutcheoned Doors' by Mark Patrick Hederman, Irish Benedictine monk. I've been reading it and meditating on its content ever since. It is a wonderful gift which opened my eyes on realities that were known and close to my heart but never spelt out in such a way as the author was able to achieve...

The whole journey to Ireland has been filled with symbolism. The glory of mystical doors to grand personalities I was blessed to meet and interact with in those past four days or so, has been mesmerizing and brought forth memories of the yesteryear...

The land full of symbols, mysticism, past intertwined with the present...my friends, sensitive to the reality of the modern day, going through news with open compassionate heart reaching out to other peoples and cultures with gestures of love and caring generosity...yet rooted deeply in the echoes of the ancient times of this epic land...proud and full of resolve to preserve what this land and its people has to offer to the modern world...


I learned a lot in those few days spent with my dearly beloved friends... And I strengthened my belief in everlasting friendship that endures challenges of time and space... My friends pumped in me so much new spirit, new resolve, hope, love and faith, will to press on, encouraged me so much that I came back to Krakow a different man... How will I be able to repay them for this? Surely, through prayer and the Eucharist celebrated for them and their intentions, but humanely speaking, I hope that one day I will be able to repay in kind...

Till we meet again, my wonderful family in Ireland, may God bless you much and keep you in His loving fatherly are arms...Thank you!!!


2 comments:

  1. Delighted you are enjoying Mark's book, Wojciech. You were met to have it as I lost it and only found it as you were leaving .It was Van Gogh's painting of the old boots and your old books that triggered the connection!!!!Mark is quite a character -not at all your traditional monk, but also a man of great depth and genius.
    It was so good that you had this little break in Ireland - I think you didn't realise how much you needed the break to renew you 'body and soul' until you were going away. A missionary's life is very demanding on all fronts so holistic breaks are essential. I hope you got that desperate tooth out - pity it caused you so much pain but you kept going. Bravo! .There is a big empty space in our lives here today but we are connected in spirit.
    I hope you will get some time to rest in Krakow as you are only beginning to 'unwind' from the travails of Kiabakari. Keep smiling in the sun as it is raining here most of the day. With every blessing and lots of love from the Daly clan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Operation 'tooth' scheduled for tomorrow. Hope it goes well. Yes, the void is huge in my life now after I left you, folks! But as you've said - we are one in spirit. And always will be :)

    By the way, the difference between temps in Ireland and in Cracow are significant, it felt today as I returned to hot and humid Dar es Salaam!

    ReplyDelete