Sunday, October 3, 2010

In Person

Last night I finally met in person one of the nicest, kindest and easy going guys in my life. I've been friends with Tony for the last six or seven years on our Ferrari forums at www.thescuderia.net, where we were and still are forum moderators, loved him for what stood for and who he were (as pictured by his posts and comments in forums), but never met him in real life. This has changed forever yesterday...


One of my dreams while coming to North America was a blessing of meeting him 'live'. I sent him a private message on our forums, got his mobile number and sent him mine immediately after I got my new line from Virgin mobile, as I cannot allow myself to get disconnected from my duties and reponsibilities back in Tanzania (with new volunteer just arriving from Poland to Kiabakari just yesterday, and she needed support and guidance in her first days there) and in Poland.

Tony wanted us to meet immediately yesterday evening and came to my place to pick me up with his beautiful Subaru Impreza WRX I knew only from pictures on our forums...


It was bit awkward at first, but it did not take us longer than a minute to get comfortable with each other and talk as we have been knowing each other since childhood. He turned to be such a nice, knowledgeable, easy going, kind and well mannered young man. It was a true blessing to enrich my life with his person and his world...

He took me to the F1 track on the artificial isle on st. Lawrence river. I cannot describe how it felt to be there in real, in person, in a rally car, doing the same lap those F1 guys were doing, being there where Kubica had his horrible accident just a couple of years ago...

 


Such a quality time on track yesterday, and with Tony who has an ocean of knowledge on any topic, it seems... I was more than impressed...


Then, he took me up on the Mount Royal to St. Joseph's Oratory which impressed me immensely, showing me on the way the city in the dusk... As I was looking forward to visiting the shrine with my friends later on this week, as we prepare for the canonization of brother Andre in Vatican in a couple of weeks time, still seeing it at night and having been able to watch the Montreal panorama from the top of the Mount, was a wonderful experience. And with Tony, it was pure quality...


Thank you, Tony!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you have touched down in all senses of the word in North America. I didn't realise it was your first time on the continent - you will have great surprises. When I saw the lovely Subaru you were spinning around in I thought of the bone shakers you drive in Tanzania .What a world of difference ; you sure are a child of the universe in love with all that is exciting and interesting, not to talk of people. I was amazed that you were meeting virtual friends - you do take risks but that is part of the missionary zeal! Delighted they turned out to me such good friends and may you have jolly times in Montreal etc. Your visit wouldn't be complete without spending time at a shrine which mean so much to you. Enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking risks is part of my life as a missionary... My new friends were not that virtual as I knew them through other real friends...

    I like Montreal, such an easy going city. And people are amazing, they go great lengths to make my stay pleasant and show me interesting places around here... so far I am exhausted with multitude of emotions, places, meetings etc...

    Still, I love it.

    On my way to Canada I flew over Northern Ireland and while doing so, prayed for you, Lena, Tom and my fantastic friends in Ireland. God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete