Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Kahnawake

A friend of mine took me this morning for a short trip to Kahnawake Mohawk Reserve on the other side of St. Lawrence River. I returned saddened with what I saw there. Since my childhood I have been a great fan of adventure books - in particular of Karl May - telling a proud tale of Natives in North America, then movies came along, especially 'Dances With Wolves'... but the reality of Natives I have witnessed today dealt a devastating blow to this lifelong beliefs and mental picture filled with my awe and respect...


One of the few positive impressions I came back with from this short trip, as I did not wish to spend more time there than it was absolutely necessary, was the splendid example of an Indian woman, Kateri Tekakwitha, beatified by the Holy Church on June 22, 1980 by the Servant of God, His Holiness John Paul II. She is the first native American beatified in the Catholic Church, thus holding a very special place in hearts and devotion of aborigines of North America. Her shrine containing her grave is right there in Kahnawake and I was blessed today to visit this remarkable place.


I pray with all people of good will from her own nation and elsewhere for her canonization:

O God, Who, among the many marvels of Your Grace in the New World, did cause to blossom the pure and tender lily, Kateri Tekakwitha, grant we beseech You, that this young friend of Jesus and of His Cross may soon be counted among her Saints by Holy Mother Church and that our hearts may be enkindled with a stronger desire to imitate her innocence and faith. Through the same Christ Our Lord. Amen.

I pray through her intercession for her own people, for North America, for the whole world, for the Holy Church, for all people I love and care for, for the fruit of my North American journey, for Kiabakari and myself:

Dear Cousin Kateri Tekakwitha,
Flower of the Algonquins and Lily of the Mohawks,

The Great Spirit, our Creator, chose you among all the Native Americans to be His messenger of love and service to His people.

You were subjected to all sorts of ridicule - being called "the Christian", "the Algonquin" - by your people, the Mohawks. Yet you perservered in your undying love of Jesus and Mary above all else. Lead us to this perfection of love and sacrifice as you did in an environment much like today's world of self-centeredness, greed and the idolatry of the material.

You lived Jesus' message of "Love God with your whole heart and your whole soul, and love your neighbor as yourself". Please be our guide towards a saintly life of love and dedication to others.

When we are about to give up our spirit, please help us to cross over into that happy hunting ground to share our Creator's reward that you now cherish with Jesus, Mary and our Great Spirit.

Cousin Tekakwitha, please watch over, protect and guide us as we attempt to walk in your mocassins. 

Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, 
Flower of the Algonquins,
Lily of the Mohawks,
Please, pray for us!

2 comments:

  1. I returned saddened with what I saw there? I did not wish to spend more time there than it was absolutely necessary.

    Please explain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not simply like the idea of native people living in reserves or confined areas! Why? It is as if let's say Germans or Russians put us, Poles, in reserves, and rule the whole country! Where is freedom, where is the breathing space?

    I do not wish to go deep in historical implications and the meanders of the past, but being raised on the literature and movies that gave me totally different picture of North American natives, it saddens me to compare my imagination with the present reality.

    ReplyDelete