Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Scratching The Surface

That is exactly how I see it. Just scratching the surface of a little yet known world to me. The world of human ingenuity, charisma, talents, skills, passions and desires that drive people from the very young age to excel... Since I have arrived to Canada, this is what I've been doing...more rather by chance, by accident, that by a methodical process or approach. Scratching the surface of the world of talents, passions, charismas, dreams, notions, desires and lifetime goals in Polish diaspora in Montreal mainly, as I have been spending most of my time in this city...But I am absolutely certain that in Toronto and elsewhere in Canada, the picture is just the same...


I continue to nourish my pride as a Pole with the numerous encounters of young and mature compatriots who reveal to me the mesmerizing pool of diverse talents... I cannot but marvel at the beauty of Polish community and the the richness of the vast spectrum of its qualities and talents. Though handicapped by crooked ways of our history, toughness of life in foreign countries (not always on their own merit and free choice) and its reputation and good standing in Canadian society dented by some of its members living their lives based on their preferred substandard values (we all know about the typical derogatory beliefs about us, Poles, as drunkards, ill behaved people, thieves etc), still my pride of being Pole has been boosted more here in Canada, than back there in Poland! It amazes me so much to feel this patriotism, love of our country, love of Canada, pride of being Pole, pride of our history and achievements - right here, in this community.

This pride was visible in a very special way just yesterday, when we went for the soccer game between Poland and Ecuador in Saputo Stadium in Montreal. Though the timing of the game was very unfortunate as it was early afternoon and most of the people were still at work, there were some 2-3 thousand of Polish supporters, dressed in national colors, cheering wildly for our team.

 
Their performance, certainly, was much better that the one of the boys running on the football pitch, but, what a heck, we went to have fun in the sun, we went for the game to feel one, to feel proud for Poland, for this community in Montreal and Canada...


Then, right after the game, I was invited for dinner at one of the Polish families, indeed one of the families which founded the Supporters' Club of our Foundation 'Kiabakari'. There I met their talented sons, and one of them David, showed us how amazingly talented young lad he was by playing some of his music on a guitar... Here are some of his pieces David posted on YouTube.




I have always been very sensitive to other people talents. Yesterday I met a prospective future musician who - if only he plays the card of his talent properly and gets support he deserves along the way, he may be on the verge of a promising artistic career. It is mainly up to him now, with the support of his parents, the school and other people well versed in the music industry, to feed this talent and make it flourish.

Certainly, I wish him well and will suport him, his brother - who himself wants to be a mixed martial arts fighters, and all young talented Polish girls and boys, starting with Kasia, Olivier, Jessica, Maria and so many others I have already met here in Montreal - with my cordial prayers and the sacrifice of the Holy Eucharist, so that God - the giver of all talents and charismas, may bless them abundantly, protect them from routine and boredom, prevent them from losing heart and patience and keep them safe on the path to their fufillment as wonderful Christians and amazing artists and professionals for the benefit of us all.

Go for it, girls and boys! Never look back! Never ever lose heart! Never ever stop dreaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment