Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Windy City

Just two stops at Mendota and  Naperville remained as Southwest Chief train number 4 closes remorselessly on Chicago. It has been an experience of its kind for me, and surprisingly, for many fellow passengers with whom I had pleasure to sit at the table and share. Almost all of them were traveling on this train for the very first time, considering this journey as a lifetime reward. I sat with folks from New Orleans who just celebrated their Golden Jubilee of marriage. I sat with a couple going for a week long drive in desserts. I sat with guys going on tour somewhere, taking this slow option and enjoying tranquility and spectacular views along the way (did you check my photos on Facebook? Look here)...

It is an interesting policy of Amtrak to sit parties of one, two or three with other passengers at random, so they can connect and share and make friends. At the very first moment I thought it would be difficult to connect immediately and open up to new folks, but in USA I guess it comes very easily and I had no problems making new friends. So, thank you Amtrak for this community oriented policy.

Rolling through flat lands of Illinois, I try to gather my thoughts and feelings and issues I was going through in my mind and heart. I needed this two day long trip up to Chicago from Los Angeles. After that setback in California, which put me off the balance a bit, and a few busy days in LA, this confinement in Superliner Roomette broken up into short periods of connecting with other passengers during meals in diner car, helped me a lot to relax and refocus and compose myself, grateful at the end of the day for that bad experience which generated a wave of human kindness, compassion and generosity - from Montreal to California to Europe. God bless you much, all my friends!

So, now in a couple of hours time, I will meet with the Resurrection Sisters who are my neighbors in Tanzania. Funny feeling to meet Sr. Stephanie in Chicago as I get used to welcoming her in Kiabakari or being welcomed by her in Buturu...

I'm really looking forward to this new experience and to this very first encounter with Chicago and people I will meet there. Some of them I know, but I know as well, that new friendships will spring up. So be it!

Let the Wind of the Holy Spirit guide us all in the Windy City!

No comments:

Post a Comment