Saturday, November 6, 2010

Amtrak

This is quite a new experience to me, I must admit, though traveling by train is nothing new and - in genera - I like it, as it gives me more freedom to work and move around without missing what is passing by the window along the route...

I was curious how USA train services fare in comparison to European and Canadian ones. I'd say, we are not bad, not at all, over there in Poland and Europe after what I've seen and tasted already since yesterday aboard Amtrak Southwest Chief number 4 from Los Angeles Union Station enroute to Chicago Union Station...

At first I found this Superliner Roomette ridiculously small, barely the width of the seat, not more that one meter, I'd say... But sleeping in combined two seats, flatbed, was quite good! Had a good sleep and the train does not make much noise. I guess the joints of rails are different and do not make that usual click-clack sound...

The staff is friendly and helpful, security maybe not as one of the guests sitting with me in the diner for breakfast said someone stole his bag, probably thieves who come aboard at one station and disembark at the next...what a shame! Now, I'm on red alert status, keeping everything with me, just in case...

Here is the link to photos I take while I am heading northeast to Chicago, hope you enjoy the beauty of the countryside and what I find interesting along the way. 

Have a nice weekend and blessed Sunday! Praying for all of you much! God bless us all!

2 comments:

  1. On route again , Wojciech! Well done- one has to keep moving on despite what obstacles get in the way.You are not one for giving up -life IN Africa has taught you that.I hope you have a great time in Chicage - my sister, brother and I have been there as we had an aunt a Sister of Charity of BVM who lived there and we visited her. There are so many Polish people there that you will feel at home quickly. I don't know how you can stick those long hauls in trains/buses. Your pictures are good and look after your few belongings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arrived safely to Sisters' place...today it was a learning day - visiting Museum of Science and Industry. What an amazing place... I didn't know they can make museums so interesting and interactive. I could spend there the whole week! :) I'm glad to see that place and learn so many things...

    ReplyDelete