Monday, November 29, 2010

Bitter-sweet

This is the taste I have wrapping down my USA voyage, as I celebrate the last Sunday on American soil, in St. Ladislaus Parish in Hempstead, Long Island. The first Sunday after my arrival to the States left a scar on my heart, as it was the day my things were stolen from the closet in the sacristy of the Presentation parochial church in Stockton. Today, on my last Sunday, I feel much better, experiencing the warmth of the welcome and genuine kindness of pastors and the parochial community...


Still, it pains me that noone from that parish in Stockton ever contacted me after that fatal Sunday. Not a word of 'sorry', no apologies for lack of security of my belonging even if I was assured by a parish official it was safe to stow my bag in that place. No word from pastors, no word from anyone in charge there.

I have been waiting patiently for them to contact me all this time. As I leave tomorrow, departing for Poland and later on to Tanzania, there was only an ominous silence on their part looming over my whole visit in USA. I am disappointed to say the least. If it happened in my parish to one of my visitors, I would do whatever I could - first to apologize to the victim and make sure she or he gets all assistance she or he would need, including refunding of loss and all expenses she or he would incur getting her or his things replaced... But I guess, it is not obvious to everyone. And to save the good name of the community is not a priority to every parish in this world. Shame.

So, I feel sad and left alone by my fellow Catholics who chose to abandon me with no help.

"Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do." (James 2:18)

No comments:

Post a Comment