Sunday, September 5, 2010

In God's Textile Store

Two Holy Masses 'under my belt' and off I went to Nyamikoma oustation, some 6 kilometers from Kiabakari on the main highway from Musoma to Mwanza. I braced myself for a long Mass in extreme heat in my favorite chapel in the parish, dedicated to the Patron Saint of my ordination class, St. Francis of Assisi... I was about to officiate at the sacrament of marriage of three couples and - before that - to baptize one of the brides, confirm one couple and to baptize four children from three couples. I said to myself with wicked grin - 'no country for old men!' Another day in tough conditions...


After I was done with the confessions before the Mass and official stuff - checking if all papers, data and procedures were correct, we started the Holy Mass with a procession, lead by the choir, couples and their witnesses, altar servers and myself. Upon entering the church I was stopped in my tracks... For a moment I thought I took a wrong turn and came in to some textile or fabric store!

The decoration of the chapel was amazingly simple, innovative and funny. Never seen something like this. They stretched sisal ropes across the rafters of the roof and hang hundreds pieces of cut fabrics of various colors. It looked so weird, so colorful and so unfitting to this holy place, that it made a perfect sense and after initial shock, I liked this idea a lot. Such an ingenuous and cheap way to decorate the church in an uncommon manner!

Of course, Coca-Cola, Pepsi and other plastic balls were not to be missed in this decoration motive... The Mass took two hours plus, I managed to finish it somehow, though feeling finished completely. Most of the time, when I was seated during reading, collection and announcements, I couldn't help but staring at this festival of colors in tiny pieces of cut fabrics! Then after then Mass when I send someone to bring me my bottle of water, he brought it half emptied. Someone must have spotted the bottle under the altar, where I put it to have it at hand whenever I needed it (though I did not in fact, as it was a bit cooler than yesterday), and in a span of 30 second was able to open sealed bottle, drank half of the water and put it back under the altar!



I think St. Francis of Assisi himself would smile broadly seeing this original way of decoration 'his' chapel and would pronounce it quite cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment