Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Two Victories

This day today brought a genuine mental rollercoaster. Feeling a bit drained and burned out, but calmly happy as two miracles happened today, two small victories, two prayers heard and answered, and all this on this special day, the Feast of the Birth of Our Lady...


My two out of the several major problems I've been trying to find solutions to, were: securing a substitution for me while I'm away for three months. Till today I was unable to find anyone who would agree to help me with at least Sunday Masses in Kiabakari and outstations. I shared my concern and frustration with the bishop on Saturday, and today he called me in the morning to tell me that one of the diocesan priests, working in a secondary school as a teacher and chaplain, will move to Kiabakari for the time I will be away. It was such a huge relief to hear this news! So relieved. The priest came this evening and we talked a bit, agreeing upon the most important issues. Happy!

Second worry was the reluctance of my sisters to open the primary school in January and accept children from our reception class in the pre-school as first pupils in standard one in Blessed Edmund Bojanowski Primary School (this is the full name of the facility). Sisters were complaining that the school is not ready (in fact there is no school even on a drawing board, well, not even the plot for the future school I was able to secure!), the school would need a lot of investments, teaching aids, book, furniture etc...

I told them that it is of utmost importance to open the school, even if we have to teach under a tree, as it would be a horrible PR disaster for all of us - first, it would be unfair to parents who were sure that the children will go through the levels of education in our parish, as intended and promised; second, what to do with children leaving pre-school this December? Where will they go? Not fair again. We need to open the school.

I took sisters with me to the Center for Education and Formation where just a few days ago we finished plastering two classrooms and teachers rooms and laid floor in there. Tried to talk some sense into them and I am happy cautiously that somehow I was able to convince them that it was possible and together we can make it. I will put gypsum boards, and paint classrooms, fix doors and find sponsors for furnitures etc...and sisters will get ready to issue joining forms to sell to prospective students (parents rather), preparare write ups for needed teaching aids, furniture, equipment etc... I will try my best to find donors who will be willing to help us, and will do whatever I can to make sure the school opens, temporarily in the premises of the Center for Education and Formation (later, when I secure funds to buy more land and relocate inhabitants and to build the school, the primary classes will move to their proper facility, and the center will remain with the pre-school and homecraft classes).

At least, I am happy that sisters did not say bluntly - no! They reasoned, then started to think what to do in this 'tenmporary' situation and circumstances. Looks like they bought the idea and the future of 'my' kids is secured. Thank God! And Our Lady!

After all, we are missionaries, and we should forget about luxuries and focus on doing whatever possible to ensure that our apostolate and services are not hindered by the lack of proper housing, fully equipped luxurious facilities... Successes earned the hard way are sweetest...

Just like these two little victories which to me are of utmost importance...to ensure the continuous spiritual, pastoral and sacramental services, along with uninterrupted educational process which has just begun this February and was in jeopardy due to the reluctance of my sisters...

Ps 37:5 comes to mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment