Monday, September 6, 2010

Emerald Thoughts

I don't know why it is like it is today...But I have been overwhelmed by emerald thoughts...Why today? I don't know, but I miss the Emerald Island with particular force today...It is such powerful longing for that magical place on the globe, for people I admire, love and respect...to the extent of being physical experience...feeling almost sick! Maybe someone needs a special prayer, maybe one of my friends over there is in a danger or in distress, maybe there is someone who thinks about me today...I don't know...All I know is that I miss them so much and long so much to see them, to reconnect with them and to enjoy their presence...


On this cold morning of early December 1990 when I was about to board the plane which would take me back home and then to Tanzania, I never left Ireland in fact...Rather I took her with me along with all wonderful people I was blessed to meet over there... They have been in my heart ever since, expanding my Irish family step by step, person by person, along the way till today...

How many times in the past twenty years my thoughts, feelings, dreams and recollections were like spirits set off for pilgrimage to that land of magnificent history, and heroic, marvelous and holy people...God only knows! Today is another day when only my body stayed in Kiabakari, but my heart and soul, my thoughts and feelings decided to go on pilgrimage to the Emerald Island...to Drogheda, Dublin, Armagh, Togher, Monsterboice, Dundalk, Knock, so many places, faces, memories...

To all my great friends on both sides of the border, I just wish to say that I miss you much and I do hope one day we will be together again, even if just for a minute or two...Thank you for who you are, thank you for what you stand for, thank you for being with me all the way...I will never forget you.

May God give you...
For every storm, a rainbow,
For every tear, a smile,
For every care, a promise,
And a blessing in each trial.
For every problem life sends,
A faithful friend to share,
For every sigh, a sweet song,
And an answer for each prayer.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings from the Emerald Isle - just reading your blogs and here we are united in spirit again. You are never far from our thoughts and prayers - it is marvellous to think that we are also included in yours. Seamus Heaney has just published a new book of poems entitled 'The Human Chain. In a poem called ' A Herbal' he says
    ' If you know a bit
    About the universe
    It's because you've taken it in ....
    Me in place and the place in me'
    So many places find a dwelling in you Wojciech- maybe like St.Patrick it's the voice of the Irish you hear calling you back to minister here !!! But then who would finish this water tank that is growing step by step. It is amazing for us to think of the drought in Africa and here today the rain is pouring down non-stop but we get 3 -4 seasons sometimes in one day.
    Africa is no country for even a young man by the sound of your hectic lifestyle there. You have to have a very special inner energy and motivation to keep going amidst all the difficulties. i was delighted the Confirmation day went so well but what a lot of hard work went into making it such a happy occasion with you at the helm. The photos were great especially the one offering the live goat to the clergy , brillant. I enjoyed the photos of the weddingtoo -decorated church was so creative and innovative -lovely touch of the imagination. WIth your eclectic taste for music you could play an Irish tune to-day or maybe dance an Irish jig!
    Take care of yourself .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would be surprised how many pieces of Irish music I have with me :) Even Irish priests singing on CD :)))

    I might go today though for The Messiah - 250th Anniversary, performed in Dublin a few years ago with pres. Mary Robinson present...

    I love the poem, it speaks to me in so many levels at once... thank you for sharing!

    I'd love to get soaked in rain! I wouldn't mind standing there motionless or running around happy to get wet thoroughly!

    And...actually there were three goats offered to the bishop. We sold them already today on the market day in Kiabakari. I'll give the money to the bishop who wants to deposit them in the development account of the diocese. Good idea!

    Through you, dear Lena, I wish to send my regards and love to all lovely people of Emerald Isle... Take care...and till we meet again, God willing...

    ReplyDelete