Monday, September 6, 2010

Operation 'Maji'

Having gone through a hurdle run - preparations, logistics, confessions on Friday, Confirmation feast with the Bishop on Saturday, then regular Sunday services with the wedding Mass in Nyamikoma outstation yesterday, time has come inevitably to go back to reality. This day I can proclaim as Operation 'Maji' day...


I mentioned in my Saturday's post that we ran out of water completely. And although I got the news yesterday evening that the Water Authority of Mugango-Kiabakari-Butiama has been reconnected to power line as they allegedly paid their outstanding power bills in half, and there were initial reports that water has been seen trickling out in some places, still to get water in my place will take a few more days, till they fill tanks in military camp and then start pumping water in Butiama direction. We were connected to that second part of the Mugango-Kiabakari-Butiama pipeline - from the military camp in Kiabakari towards Butiama.

Yesterday afternoon, just a moments after we got back home from Nyamikoma, an  unexpected rainfall came. It took just a fifteen minutes or so, but we were able to fill a few plastic containers, though the water was brownish as the roofs were all covered in dust and dry leaves. Still, it is good, after some filtering through a linen cloth, to use it for toilets and cleaning floors...

This morning I decided to bring clean water from Musoma, 40 kilometers from Kiabakari. I came with sisters car, as the parochial Toyota Hilux is fetching water from the creek to enable construction of tank to proceed unhindered. I left sisters doing some shopping and office stuff, and myself went to buy 100 liters plastic containers and to find a place to fill them with clean water. I bought six containers, no more will sit in the back of the truck. I came to Peninsula hotel to meet with my colleagues for coffee and quick chat, and at the same time to have those containers filled with water. The management of the hotel were kind enough to me and understanding, so they allowed me to do so. I am very grateful to them for this act of kindness. The Operation 'Maji' has been successful! 'Maji' in swahili means water...I don't know how many times I will have to fetch water from Musoma, hopefully, not that many...


Once we are done with coffee and the containers are full, I will pick up sisters in town (hoping they are done with their to-do-list) and will go back home.

I need to go back home as quickly as possible as I want to use the rest of the day for office work - to record confirmation data in baptismal records of all confirmants from Saturday's feast, prepare notification of the sacrament to the parishes of those who were baptized outside Kiabakari, to fill baptism certificates of all confirmants with the Confirmation data etc....


I left my foreman in Musoma buying and loading wood planks (almost full truckload) for formwork of concrete beams and the concrete cover of the tank. Things are moving on, hopefully - with a help of Divine Providence and your kind prayers - we will are able to finish works as planned...

Have a nice Monday and the satisfying, rewarding whole week! God bless us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment