Saturday, September 11, 2010

Ground Zero

9/11 is remembered worldwide today, for different reasons, depending where one stays in war on terror trenches. For me today was all about work, work, work. Just a few days remaining before i set off for long holidays, which means hectic preparations of the mission to leave it safe and secure and take care of everything I can think of that may happen in the meantime. I dislike these last days, always stressful and frustrating...


But the focal point of my 9/11 today was the beginning of measuring of the Ground Zero - a plot for the proposed Mwalimu Julius Kambarage Nyerere Memorial Hotel in my mission. This is going to be an all-in-one hostel for pilgrims, guest house for visitors, shelter for tourists, place to stay for people coming for retreats, seminars, workshops or just to rest. My idea is to create a place speaking of Zanaki ethnic group culture and history, with focus on Mwalimu Nyerere himself, presenting him not as a politician and president, but as a father of the family and a member of his ethnic group. Several ideas have been brewing in my head for the last two-three years how to realize my goals, but I won't deliberate on them right now. Not yet...

The road to the realization of this project will be very long, I presume. We have a plot - the whole back of Divine Mercy Hill, but in order to utilize it properly and not waste a single square foot, the project must be prepared by a well prepared architect. I think I got one, and quite unexpectedly, to be honest. Recommended by a friend of mine, an architect himself, who was here in Kiabakari several times and 'feels the music'. So, through him, I let to know her, as the architect in question is a lady. She wants me to measure the whole plot following detailed instructions, using professional equipment (laser theodolite and laser range finder) which I fortunately bought in Poland early this year. Comes handy now...

We have started this evening as laser beam is useless in full sun, at least a beam of that power I have. So, we were doing this in the dusk and night. We have broke through the most difficult part, and tomorrow and the day after, things should go better. I must finish it before I fly to Poland as she waits for the data to start working with creation of elevations image etc...

'Elimu haina mwisho', as they say in Tanzania. The education never ends. I guess it goes quite right for me, as today I have become a rookie in land surveying craft... I hope my architect will accept our work and won't be too disappointed with what we came up...

After she finishes the project, we will be able to say that we have land, we have comprehensive project, we have will to do it, there will be only one tiny element missing. The money to do it. But this item I will leave up to the Servant of God Mwalimu Julius Nyerere himself. He will take care of it...

No comments:

Post a Comment