Saturday, September 4, 2010

No Country For Old Men

When the echo of a final word of the Prayer after Mass of altar servers faded away in the sacristy of our church, I grinned to myself and groaned incomprehensibly - 'no country for old men...' Three and a half hours in sauna temperatures of in fully packed church with zero air circulation. Give me a break! I felt even my teeth sweating in this condition...


The Bishop looked at me from under his spectacles and said - "I've never experienced something like this! My whole body is drowned in sweat!' He drank full liter of water during the liturgy. Myself couldn't say much more as I felt as a piece of dried meat.

Anyway, the whole celebration was a great success, I am happy and humble enough to admit that! Kudos to all my people, with sisters on top and Aurelia and Charles at their side. Apart from sweltering heat that made some people go outside under trees leaving us, bishop and me, in full liturgical attire inside the church. The liturgy was simple and elegant, they way I like it. Powerful liturgical inculturating elements, proper discipline of the whole congregation, well prepared choir, my altar server splendidly performing their liturgical duties, Holy Childhood, WAWATA (Catholic Women League), ushers, confirmants, catechists, lay leaders, everybody. I felt proud to be part of this community. Together we did truly great job to create something beautiful out of yesterday's organized chaos circling around the "F" Word...


After the Holy Mass, we went for a while home, while people gathered in organized manner around the open altar at the side of the church, ready for the next point in today's program - artistic performances, speeches and gifts. When everything was set and in place, they called us. It didn't take them long, maybe 15 minutes to get ready. The whole program took around one hour with several groups performing various pieces - from songs to dramas, sung debates and children music show (this one made people go ballistic, cheering wildly, ululating, shouting, clapping hands, as they acknowledged powerful performance of children who come from families of prison wardens from Kiabakari Prison). After the artistic part, then came time for an official word on behalf of the parish read by the parish lay council secretary, followed by gifts from confirmants, lay council, various outstations, groups and parochial movements. Gifts ranged from goats, maize, things of household usage and money. The Bishop asked me to sell goats on nearest market day and bring money to him as he wants to deposit them in the diocesan development fund account which he established to teach people self-reliance. So, as on Monday is the 6th of September, the market day (in Kiabakari market days are always on 6th and 23rd every month), we will sell those few goats. I asked already a few lads who are well versed in the art of livestock selling and buying to do me a favor and take care of it on Monday.



When this part was done, I was asked to speak on behalf of the parish, which I promptly did, in a few words revolving around the theme of gratitude. Then I asked the bishop to speak to us. I liked his speech. It was very well thought out, simply and strict to the point. People seemed to be carried by it, listening attentively and reacting actively. Very good speech indeed, cheering us, lifting our spirits, full of praise and gratitude as well, encouring to go forward and excel...

This part finished, we moved to our destined locations to get something to eat after more than five hours  of praying and singing and dancing and talking. The Bishop, his entourage, sisters, confirmants, their sponsors, catechist and lay leaders went to the mission courtyard. Other people prepared food for themselves out of money and meat we distributed yesterday.

Some 400+ people ate at my place. I am always amazed how spacious is my house's courtyard. Nevertheless half of the people could not fit in, so they ate wherever they could find a piece of space. On the floor, on the ground, amidst bushes...

 

Did I mention we ran out of water this morning? Completely. Everywhere. Each tank. Just what he have now is what was saved in buckets in our bathrooms. On Monday I will have to drive to Musoma and buy a few plastic containers, so at least i could come back to Kiabakari with some 500 liters to keep us running for a couple of days or more... I just heard from Charles that the Water Authority in Kiabakari paid at last their outstanding power bills in half, so maybe they will be reconnected to power grid and their pumps will start pumping water from the lake again....who knows? Anyway, even if this is true, we will still need to haul water from the creek to ensure the construction of the tank is progressing. At least we have finished school project - two classrooms have been plastered, floor laid and the veranda of both classsrooms has been plastered and floor laid as well. So, happily, I can tick this thing off, and starting from Monday I will prepare a report and pictures for Ad Gentes agency of Polish Episcopal Conference who donated money for this project.

Imagine my people doing cleaning now? Dish washing without water? We had to send Charles again with my truck to bring water from the creek to wash dishes and clean the area...No job for old men, I tell you...

Everyone is gone by now...There was some cooked rice left over and beef stew - enough for the whole squad of cooks to divide between themselves and bring back home for their families. They did a great job to feed hundreds of people without a single complaint with the most crude equipment there is - a firewood, charcoal, aluminum pots and very little water at hand. They are simply giants!

 
But they are gone too. Just myself writing these few lines and sisters resting in their rooms. No one is thinking about anything resembling food. We are simply too tired. I tell you, these parochial feasts in Kiabakari are not for old men....

And tomorrow is Sunday. Three Masses as usual, with the third one in Nyamikoma oustation (my favorite - resembling a normal house, with curtains in windows, flowers painted on walls and very lively community) combined with communal celebration of the sacrament of marriage for three couples, with Baptisms, Confirmation and First Communion for some of the spouses and their children...

No country for old men...

No comments:

Post a Comment