Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Personal Ur

On the day of the Feast of the Birth of Our Lady, my thoughts always set on a pilgrimage to the little shrine of Our Lady of Graces in a small town of Janów Lubelski in eastern Poland, the area where most of my family from the maternal side, hails from...This unassuming place holds the same importance to me as the Wawel Cathedral where I received my diaconate and priestly ordination in 1988. That little shrine in Janów Lubelski is my personal Ur of Chaldeans...


This is the place where in August 1981 I was called unexpectedly - just like St. Paul near Damascus - by Our Lady to priesthood...It happened during the last Mass my uncle celebrated before leaving his family, diocese and country for Zambia in Africa as a missionary. He spent their several years till his health refused to obey and he had to leave and go back to Europe, then Australia, then USA, and now he is back in Poland...

When he was celebrating that last Mass in the shrine of Our Lady, I was there, standing as usual at the back of the church. Then it happened and changed my life forever. My personal Ur of Chaldeans...

Justc like Abram who was told by God to leave his town and go to the Promised Land and became Abraham, similo modo I was told that I am about to become someone else. And I have become someone else gradually - from that instant moment of a few seconds till 22 of May 1988 when I emerged from the wawel Cathedral as a newly ordained priest... It took seven long years to become what I was told then in those few seconds. How long did it take Abraham and the ones who took his place to enter the Promised Land?

My personal Ur of Chaldeans is there in Janów Lubelski (the official website of the town - here, on Wikipedia here). And today is the major feast day for the shrine - The Feast of the Birth of Our Lady. Huge celebrations every year...I was going there every year after that day when I was called by Our Lady to pray for myself, to commit myself to her and pray for all important to me ... Those were always special days, and I am glad that this tradition continues. And today is a very special occasion in the shrine - the 25th Anniversary of the coronation of the Image of Our Lady...

How I wish I were there today, just to say - 'Thank you, Mother!'

Anyway, I wish to take you with me on a virtual pilgrimage to my personal Ur. Let's visit the website of
The Shrine of Our Lady of Graces which beginnings are closely related with the Dominican Order. Look at these pictures....Isn't this place beautiful?

 

And this is the miraculous image of Our Lady. It is said that the image was painted in Kraków in the school of art of the Dominicans... First, the image itself, then how it adorned in the shrine...


Check the pictures of the shrine and the surroundings  here.

The following are the pictures from yesterday, the first day of anniversary celebrations at the shrine...The main celebrations are being held today, as I write these words...




When I started the construction of the Divine Mercy Shrine in Kiabakari, I decided to immortalize my love towards my personal Ur and towards Our Lady from Janów Lubelski by casting a main church bell in Germany in 1995 in honor of Our Lady of Graces, the Mother of my priestly vocation. So, whenever the bell rings in Kiabakari, my thoughts and heart would go back to the Lady of Janów Lubelski, to that magic place that has changed my life forever...


The bell was bless by His Excellency Bishop Justin Samba on Palm Sunday of 1996. The inscription under the image of Our Lady who shelters a man and a woman with her coat, says: "Our Lady of Grace, pray for us!"

The bell rang this morning as usual calling us for a morning Mass. But today it's melody had a very special meaning to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment