Thursday, September 9, 2010

Patience

Three years and two months it took Tanesco (Tanzania Electricity Supply Company) to react to my warning letter that the last pole in the power line supplying electricity to my house was about to collapse any time as it was rotten completely and swaying in high winds...


I have a copy of that letter written in July 2007, bearing the reference number KCC/30/2007. It took me several trips to Tanesco regional offices in Musoma to admonish them to react to the letter and to replace the pole in question as it is in the immediate vicinity of the dining and sitting room and it may cause fatal harm to us and to the parish property if it fell on the house!


As I write these words, the team of Tanesco workers are digging out the old pole and preparing a new one to be put in the same place, so I guess any time they will cut power off, to switch poles...


Never mind two other request to them - to check the whole line from the Kiabakari center to us, and to see into a possibility of placing a transformer in our compound as we expand gradually infrastructure-wise and the power demand of our facilities is growing along with this development. Never got any answer to those requests...

As I am happy and grateful that they finally came and we will sleep bit better, not worried for some time from now on that the pole will be secure, still I'm scared to death to think how long it will take them to reply to my recent letter I wrote two months ago, asking them to replace all power meters and put LUKU type (Lipa Umeme Kadiri Unavyotumia - Pay For Electricity As You Use) - the one you buy power by sms and punch code in the meter machine and then you use whatever units you have bought beforehand. It may take another three years to see them coming back to replace those meters...


Swahili proverb says: 'Uvumilivu hula mbivu' (a patient person eats ripe fruit), but I think this long wait exceeded by far the normal limits of patience... Three years and two months. How would you call this? A heroic patience? Or rather - helplessness...

No comments:

Post a Comment