Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Sign Of Contradiction

These words derived from today's Gospel reading of the fifth day of the Octave of the Nativity of Christ (Lk 2:22-35): “Behold, this child is destined for the fall and rise of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be contradicted (and you yourself a sword will pierce) so that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.” - evoke forceful memories of the retreat the Holy Father John Paul II gave to the Holy Father Paul VI and the Vatican Curia back in Lent 1976, which was turned into a book after that (in many languages, I think; I know personally of Polish and English translations). That book, that retreat made a lasting impact on me and my personal spirituality as I went through it and meditated upon it when I was a seminarian and in my priestly life as well... I believe it is worthwhile to find this book in Catholic bookstores or online.

No comments:

Post a Comment