Sunday, January 2, 2011

Totus Tuus?

No, this post won't be about the Holy Father John Paul II. Yet it's all about the essence of this latin saying - 'totus tuus ego sum'. And its meaning in our life. The Solemnity of the Epiphany of the Lord - celebrated today across the globe in the Catholic Church - is all about the Lord revealing Himself to all humankind represented by the magi (the wisemen) who came from the far east to do Him homage and offer their treasures...


But I feel that it is more to that. I believe the essence of today's solemnity lies in the total exchange between God and us. This is all about the TOTUS TUUS of God in Christ given to us and offered for our sins on the  Cross, completely, decisively, totally... And this should be also all about the TOTUS TUUS of us giving ourselves in return to God - completely, decisively, totally...

This is shown in the example of the magi. Led by the star of the faith, arriving to Christ, meeting Him with extreme joy of pure heart, opening up for Him their coffers and treasures and offering Him only the best. Then coming back home in DIFFERENT way because once you have met living Christ in your life, you are not going to remain the same... The true and real encounter with Christ is a life changing experience...


The gold, frankincense and myrrh are the symbols of the complete gift of ourselves to Christ. I read the symbol of gold as the representation of the gift of my intellectual world to Christ. Magnanimity, philosophy, theology, human grand ideas, clear mind dedicated to Christ and enlightened by the Holy Spirit, serving God, with no stain or rust of malevolence...

The frankincense I understand as a symbol of my spiritual world, my prayer life, my sacramental life. Like a smoke and scent of an incense going up to God in praise, the same my whole spiritual life dedicated to the Lord...

The myrrh, the symbol of the Passion of Christ, represents to me the corporal, earthly world to which my body belong. It represents my good deeds, my suffering and sacrifice for Christ and for the good cause of the Gospel. It means to me readiness to offer my time, my body, my strength, my skills, charismas and talents along with the fruit of my work - the money and earthly possessions - for Christ and His Church...

The magi teach me today to respond with my personal TOTUS TUUS to Christ - doing Him homage with my whole life - spiritual, corporal and intellectual. With immense joy, experience life changing encounter with Incarnate Love given to us in Christ totally with the unconditional TOTUS TUUS of God - with the climax on the Cross...

The Epiphany of the wholeness of God's Love and Mercy in Christ in the manger of Bethlehem calls forcefully for my wholeness in surrendering my life to Him as well. This is the right thing to do.

As one of my favorite Psalms teaches me: "Here deep calls to deep in the roar of your torrents. All your waves and breakers sweep over me." (Ps 42:8). The depth of God's infinite unconditional Love calls for the response in kind - in the depth of my total commitment to God, in all aspects and areas of my life...

Today's Solemnity poses a challenge to all of us. What about my personal TOTUS TUUS to God in my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment