Tuesday, January 18, 2011

January 18

On January 18, 1945 the Soviet forces of the 2nd Ukrainian Front under the command of Marshal Ivan Konev entered Kraków and forced the German army to withdraw. Krakow emerged as a city in the newly established People's Republic of Poland... Some people call this a 'Liberation' of Kraków. Others - 'The End of Kraków as we knew it before the Second World War began'...

Kraków is my City, my hometown, my world I know and love. The Only genuine Royal Capital of Poland, as I would put it a chauvinistic, local patriotism flavored, way... Don't kill me for this, all you people from Warsaw! Nothing personal!

I will remember this day forever and will not get drawn into discussion - was it a liberation or the end of freedom (excluding war years under German occupation)?

What is important to me that - contrary to what happened to Warsaw, flattened almost completely by Germans during the war (watch the rendering of the damages below in the video clip)...


...Kraków was left untouched by the war. I will always remain happy that Germans were unable to blow up the whole City of Kraków when they were retreating from it escaping the incoming Russian army... Wired and ready to go up in smoke and flames, the trigger was never pressed, thus saving this masterpiece of history and architecture for the generations to come...

For this alone I am immensely grateful to Russians for saving our City from the total annihilation and pay respect to those to died saving my City... May they rest in peace...






No comments:

Post a Comment