Monday, August 9, 2010

Right In The Heart Of The City

Right in the heart of my City of Kraków, in The Main Market Square, is where the smallest church - among all churches in the whole of the Archdiocese of Kraków - is located. The church dedicated to my Patron Saint - St. Wojciech (or in Latin - St. Adalbert). My favorite church!


I happened to pass by 'my' church today as I was walking back home from a meeting with a prospective young publisher, who is about to put on market a new regional monthly magazine Podkrakowska.pl  (which will be distributed free of charge, sustained only by adverts) with which I intend to cooperate for the benefit of our Foundation 'Kiabakari' and my mission in Kiabakari at large, as I still feel a strong personal alliance with my City and the Małopolska region.

Whenever I pass by St. Adalbert church, I cannot but smile seeing its minute dimensions and a funny location on the floor of the Main Market Square, at its southeastern corner, as if out off balance, thrown in the market by chance, without a major architectural thought...



But it is there and always has been...In my whole life it has been there for me...reminding me of my Patron Saint and - by its precarious location on the map of the city, putting Kraków right in the center of my heart. This is my Patron Saint, this is my City, and both stay connected in this marvelous way...

That is why I will always undeline my allegiance to Kraków, that is why I am proud to be born, raised and educated in this City. This is why I am proud to be named after St. Wojciech (though it was not the case when I was young kid, as I disliked the name, preferring to be called someone else). That is why in Kiabakari I emphasized this bond by putting Kraków's signature 'K' right in the middle of the mission courtyard and made shrine doors with a pattern resembling that of Wawel cathedral's main doors.

2 comments:

  1. So lovely to see these wonderful pictures of Krakow - I think I am sitting at the cafe in the Market Square( the Rynek) looking over at St. Adalbert tiny church.Tom and I visited there and marvelled that it is still in use.I had a good laugh at the pigeons of Poznan ! Glad the wedding went well and that you have a bit more time to savour your favourite city. Tom calls Krakow his second home so we are well connected with you. It is a bit easier than in Kiabakari as Africa is a bit far away from us but we are close to it through your blog. Enjoy every minute of your stay in Poland as much work will await you when you return to your mission .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, when I wandering around the Rynek, I was thinking about You and Tom and the circumstances in which we met on that unforgettable evening at Wiślna street and the Rynek. You both belong to Krakow now. Make no mistake about it. You are part of Krakow magic appeal to me. So good to have you deep in my heart. It's been busy time in Poland, only three weeks and tons of things to do. But so far so good, so I am truly grateful to God and you who pray for me and wish me and my vision well. Thank you! Hope you yourselves are doing well and God keeps you safe and sound?

    ReplyDelete