Sunday, August 22, 2010

Rohobot

On my last day in Dar es Salaam, before I fly tomorrow early afternoon to Musoma (hopefully - to Musoma, not to Mwanza, as it often happens) by Precision Air flight and come back fully recharged to the pileup of things that await me in Kiabakari, I decided to reward myself with a nice dinner with a bunch of nice people at Rohobot Ethiopian Restaurant...

To the majority of the people dining out in Dar es Salaam, when you ask them where is an Ethiopian restaurant if any in Dar es Salaam, they would point to Addis in Dar restaurant, very well known and famous establishment near Shoppers' Plaza and USA embassy... I've been there myself on a few occasions. Last time with my Dad in late January 2009. But since a friend of mine living and working in Dar invited me once last year to another Ethiopian restaurant in Dar, named Rohobot - I never looked back at 'Addis in Dar'...


It is not that easy to find this place! But once you find it you would probably fall in love with it, as the food is delicious, prices are quite cheaper than in Addis, and the ambiance of the restaurant is one of its kind. You feel as if you have just been invited to the tiny courtyard of a private house, with neighbors going about the house chores, oblivious of the presence of patrons of the establishment.

I don't want to repeat the same praise of this place I found in this blog. I simply suggest you click on the link and read for yourselves.

I am a big fan of Ethiopian cuisine, no doubt about it! And always enjoy an opportunity to come back to the food variety of one of the most intriguing nations, with its vast cultural and religious heritage, great history and fantastic people... The way they celebrate eating, the way they prepare their famous coffee and the solemn ritual of brewing and presenting the coffee at the table, the ambiance of the places, the language, everything makes for an unforgettable experience... Check this!



Whenever you visit Dar es Salaam, do not miss this place. Unless you fancy expensive restaurants, glamour, bling and glitz of internationally renowned establishments, you will enjoy every minute of the taste of backdoor Dar es Salaam with Ethiopian taste... To be honest, a place like this one and many many other shabby, ordinary, or run down food outlets in backstreets, off the beaten tourist tracks, known only to locals or people with taste for genuine ethnic cuisine, makes for a magic of Dar es Salaam...

Below check my mobile pictures from tonight's dinner... It was yummy (won't show you though pictures of dishes and diners, understandably)!

2 comments:

  1. Definately something different - loved the photos. One time I went to an Ethiopian Resturant in Belgium and I couldn't eat anything - the soup and the maize were beyond my palate. I guess you have to acquire a taste for these exotic dishes .I am too used to Irish stew and bacon and cabbage !! I loved the blog on the sacred birds - your pictures were stunning .And your precious stole -what lovely symbolism is depicted on it. Not to mention the Tanzanian artist painting. There is something celestial about birds in flight - maybe its their freedom that appeals to me!
    Safe journey back to Kiabakari .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to board a not-so-sacred bird early afternoon, Precision Air aircraft to be precise...This particular bird has a tendency to fly wherever she wants. So many a time we were told that we won't fly to Musoma but to Mwanza then by minibus 200 km to Musoma, or timetable changed. I am anxious a bit what today will bring... Hopefully this time we are able to fly straight to Musoma, then by car 40 km to Kiabakari. The food was delicious, I love it. I guess my stomach is Catholic - it accepts everything (well, till this year, when liver failed a bit lol)...

    ReplyDelete