Saturday, August 14, 2010

Upon The Palms of My Hands...

Solemnity of the Assumption of Our Lady is just round the corner. I will celebrate it in Divine Mercy parish, a parochial community in Skawina, a town in the vicinity of Kraków, where I was asked to substitute for one of my colleagues, who is on vacation now. I will have an opportunity to raise mission awareness by preaching in all five Masses tomorrow and hopefully to collect some funds to pay for expenses of my new book. We will see how it goes... I am too old to be either overoptimistic or over-pessimistic. I guess I am more realistic with a positive attitude...
In my homily I want to talk about hands. Women hands to be precise. I will reminisce my Grandma's hands which I was in love with when I was a young kid. I always wanted to have such smooth and silky hands and she had. I once asked her why they are like this? She chuckled and said that they got smooth because of constant washing of dishes and clothes for my Mum and Uncle for years and years. I said to myself - 'Wow! I want hands like these, a sign of love, worn and polished by care and love for beloved ones!'



Then, when I grew up, I found this passage in the Bible which made me think more deeply and admire the meaning of the worn hands of my Grandma: 'Can a mother forget her infant, be without tenderness for the child of her womb? Even should she forget, I will never forget you. See, upon the palms of my hands I have written your name'(Isa 49:15-16) Wow! Upon the palms of my hands I have written your name...I have written you... Since then, I loved to look at my parents' hands, my Grandma's hands...They have written my bro and myself in them, by their love, work, care and commitment to us...

Their hands are the visible sign of God's love and commitment to us all too... God, our Father, has written all of us in the palms of His hands...Our Lady has written us in the palms of Her hands... Whenever I see a picture of Our Lady with Her hands outstretched, showing us the palms of Her hands, I think to myself that Our Lady is telling us: 'See, upon the palms of my hands I have written you...'

I guess this will be the main starting point for my tomorrow's homily there in Skawina. Paying tribute to Our Lady's hands, paying tribute to our Mums, Grandmas, wives, teachers, women we met in our lives who cared for us and showed us love and helped us in many ways - in schools, neighborhoods, parishes, religious communities, relatives and friends... We owe them so much...

On the day we celebrate Solemnity of the Assumption of Our Heavenly Mum, I will celebrate and honor all women who mean so much in my life, bowing and kissing their caring hands with respect, love and gratitude.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings Wojciech as you celebrate 15th August. This is a very big holiday in Ireland- for my parents it was the only holiday they ever had when we were small . We all went to the seaside for the day as did all the rural people in our area. I loved your reflection on hands and the place you gave to women on this feastday - an association that I hadn't heard before. Glad you had such a good time in Austria - you are a great man for the shrines .In Ireland we used to have (faded now) a great tradition of visiting holy wells and every county had these wells which people went to seeking help, cures and to pray. In Ladywell , Dundalk, local people would visit this well to-day and it was a blessed place to go on 15th August.Hope you were able to do some fundraising and to promote your Kiabakari Foundation as well as have a little break. Time is running out on you in Krakow now but make the most of what is left. Enjoy the wonderful ambience of Krakow and its friendly people. I love it . I was thinking of Poland very much yesterday as we celebrated the feast of Maximillan Kolbe - I will never forget my visit to his cell where he died. He is one of my favourite saints - definately the 'cheerful giver'!-what a martyr. Try to get some rest this week as you have had a fairly hectic time .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just come back from that parish just outside of Kraków where I was helping out since yesterday. Horrible weather today, first humidity 100% and heat then thunderstorm. I am not a hero in these conditions, kind of sensitive to pressure changes, so it gave ame a bit of extra flavor. Glad it's over and came back, homily delivered. I guess in general people liked it. at least I was able to get some funds to repay the costs of the new book in 1/5 of the total cost, still a way to go but what a heck, will get there... Thank you, Lena, for sharing. I love your comments...:) Tomorrow the last day in Kraków, hopefully I will be able to wrap up all things and leave my Dad safe and sound in all aspects...

    ReplyDelete