Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Antibiotic Lizards

The area I live in is full of gekko lizards in various sizes and shapes. One particular kind gets me smiling and chuckling to myself, as they remind me something I want to share with you...


This particular species of gekkos is larger that their smaller grey counterparts, and are painted in two colors - red upper part of body with the head, and the rest in blue.

Here in Tanzania, at least in Mara Region I live and work in, people used to call antibiotic drugs Rang Mbili - meaning 'Two Colors' as usually the antibiotic capsules, like doxicilin, ampicillin etc come in two colors.

Sometimes women who lighten their faces, necks and arms with lightening creams to look more white, but the rest of their bodies remains 'original' are called cheekily also Rangi Mbili :)

So, here you are, the antibiotic lizard, gekko in full splendor of its double color skin.

2 comments:

  1. What a colourful gazebo this lizard is not to mention its links with 'make-up' and capsules- I had a good laugh. Glad the rain has come - I liked your title 'Life from above' definately original! It seems the malaria attack has eased for you , thank God. It strikes so unexpectedly.
    What about the convent -plenty of hitches along the way but DD must be soon. I hope you get more volunteers- pity I am among the silver surfers with my pension. How you cope with those dreadfully long treks is amazing - sounds as if you could nearly walk as quick.
    Excitement is building up for John Paul's big day in Rome -accommodation is virtually impossible to find now. Religious houses had made 15,000 more rooms available and they were filled in 24 hrs. He still continues to draw the crowds -what a wonderful person he was.
    As you head out each day you too Wojciech, are leaving your mark even if you never reach this honoured position - I am certain there are many in Kiabakari who would canonise you for the great missionary work for them. Anyhow we think your are great and wish you many blessings on your journey and lots of love and heartfelt good wishes.Love from the clann in S.Armagh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear from you, Lena! Hope you, Tom and the Clan are doing fine and Lent is a blessed and happy time for you.

    In the world of stress and frustrations caused by this convent issue, administration of our health center which fell on my shoulders since the beginning of this month, and other issues, there are some positive signals though. I think the volunteers presence in Kiabakari will become a permanent feature as more are getting ready to come and some volunteers' organizations are interested in coming to work in my place, which is great! Hope it will not come to empty promises...

    I feel very uncomfortable and unhappy reading such words of praise. Than you for your appreciation but I prefer to remain in shadows. That is my place and the idea of becoming trappist one day is more and more appealing to me... We'll see how it develops as we journey forth in our lives.

    I was thinking about the possibility of a quick visit in Armagh in the end of August or in the first half of September as I will be going home on August 17 and coming back to Tz on Sept 27 (going for med check in hospital and some other foundation and family issues). Maybe a two-three days would be nice, just to see you and have a cup of coffee or a pint of Guinness and go back to Poland. What do you think? Would it be possible?

    In the meantime, lots of love and best wishes for the remainder of Lent. God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete