Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Behind The Closed Doors

It has been my custom for many years now to pay visit to His Eminence Polycarp Cardinal Pengo, the Archbishop of Dar es Salaam, whenever I happen to be in Dar. This time there was no exception. I had the opportunity to see the Cardinal today and spend some time while conversing with him...


A good relations with His Eminence and - I dare to say - a genuine friendship which has developed throughout the past thirteen years, is a jewel I appreciate very much. He is a great pastor of the Church, great, yet simple and humble churchman and leader, undisputed leader of Catholic Church in Tanzania and whenever he opens his mouth to speak on important issues of faith and problems in Tanzania and worldwide, everyone pays close attention, listens intensely, from children to the president himself.


Of course, a every human being, he has his friends and enemies. I would be surprised and suspicious if that would not be a case! The Gospel has always been a word and sign of contradiction. So whenever the pastor of the Church speaks up on grave matters of faith and morals, the reactions will always be mixed.

I had a valuable conversation with His Eminence, as always. He pays attention, stays focused, asks questions, offers consolation and support, all this in a simple, unassuming manner as gentleman.


I needed to speak with him behind closed doors about the past and the present and about my future as well as I feel like I've arrived to the point where several option seem valid and tempting... wanted to share this state of mind and heart with him, asking for his blessing and prayers for discernment...


I asked him also for his support for the cause of elevating the Diocesan Shrine of Divine Mercy in Kiabakari. Since 2009 when I provided Tanzanian Episcopal Conference with all relevant materials and media on this topic, they were in general positive in regards to our plea. They asked bishops from Lake Zone Province to which Diocese of Musoma and Kiabakari belong to write to TEC an official recommendation so that TEC could work on it and issue a decree. Since the Archbishop Mayala's death in November 2009, this could not be done as the metropolitan see was vacant. With the installation of the new archbishop of Mwanza, there is hope that this process will come to an end. That is why I asked His Eminence to keep an  eye on this issue, so dear to my heart. This would be the culmination of my life and struggle in Kiabakari and whatever happened after that, I wouldn't care less... as I would feel like Simeon in the temple ask the Lord to relieve him from his duties...

I got my blessing and best wishes with an encouragement from the Cardinal and left him with consoled heart and soul.

Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment